• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
willxs

Rear Beam Shafts....

willxs

worse of the two

Inner bearing bit, good no?

outta bearing.. abit worn?

the first one to me looks shafted, which is gay. if you buy a new shaft, does it come with the arm or do you have to get it pressed out/in?

would you say the second one is reusable? im on a tight budget atm, as i dont have a job and im considering just getting some bearings to get it sorted for now, then come a few months, get it sorted again properly. and its not that bad if the bearings are only gona be £20ish quid for the 4.... right?

your opinions please.

Will.

Edited by willxs

Banjo

There both fuked, best get your wallet out..

Any local machine shop should be able to press out/in for not a lot as you just get the shaft from pug.

Ben

willxs

crap. what will i roughly be looking at price wise? and do other places do them? such as gsf??

Will.

mi16nut

@ £66 a side incl. VAt I think. Not sure if GSF have had any for a while, but worth asking.

B1ack_Mi16

GSF did get them in stock late 2005, but I ordered 4 of them for a month ago..

Got e-mail and they said they only had 2 in stock, and that they wasn't gonna sell that part anymore.

So I got the two last.. :D

PsychoSimon

you could always look into riping base model 205s and 309s apart until you find some good shafts? got to be cheaper in my eyes in the long run?

Rippthrough
just get the shaft from pug.

Ben

We usually do on parts :D

Anthony

Both definately knackered and can't be reused.

The first one is corroded well to excess and would destroy a new bearing in just a few miles.

The inner bearing surface on the second shaft certainly has polishing on it (which is fine) but looks like it's starting to pit as well - running your fingernail along the surface should highlight if the metal is smooth or whether the bearing neddles have pitted it slightly. On a tight budget you could reuse a shaft with a bearing surface that looked like that.

The outer bearing surface is badly pitted and has the start of corrosion as well, and couldn't be reused.

New shafts are £55+VAT each from Peugeot.

jonnie205

Yep both fooked. Your best of going down the scrappy and find 2 arms with decent shafts. usually base model ones are good but rememeber you can use any 205, 309, 306 shafts. I know a mate found 6 perfect shafts at the scrappy the other day. I know its a ball ache but it will save you a few quid mate

max0

and i thought mine where bad...

shaft 1

shaft 2

as yours are in such a bad state id check that the tube is ok, as mine had worn through the bearing and top of the tube!! (the pics are from the replacement cross tube)

best bet on a cheap budget would be to get some from the scappy - even if there a little bit f***ed you can get them pressed out and spin them 180 however its not ideal!

Good luck with the refurb

Andy

Edited by max0

willxs

went to pug today and ordered some new shafts, bearings and seals at a grand total of £170... I hate my bank giving me a credit card!

might go digging round the scrappers see what i can find as if i find another gti beam i may be able to make up another one and sell it... which may replace some of the lost money that happened to disappear!

Anthony
and i thought mine where bad...

shaft 1

shaft 2

Both of those shafts have been replaced before as well - they're not the original ones, but the one's Peugeot supply now

888rmb

How can you tell if they are the original shafts or ones that have been replaced before?

max0
Both of those shafts have been replaced before as well - they're not the original ones, but the one's Peugeot supply now

:P how can u tell?

B1ack_Mi16
:P how can u tell?

Because the original ones seem to have a black plastic coating between the two bearing-surfaces, while the new ones are shiny metal all over.

Miles

As they are fitted like that to the later 306's or where as the case maybe.

Sign in to follow this