• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mi16nut

Exhaust @ 100 Db

mi16nut

My Magnex exhaust is now 100 db as measured yesterday at 4,500rpm & half a meter at 45 degrees. well within the 105 allowed, but loud none the less.

It sounds great on track, but is tiring getting there. I'm also convinced that it has got louder over the last year or so. A fellow 205, again with a magnex system, measured just 91 db. As mine still has a centre box, I'm guessing that all the soundproofing has gone. Anyone got their decibel level?

Is there any way I can quieten it down? Can't see how it can be re-packed, so I might have to invest in a new rear box. Anyone had experience of the 'custom' ones you can get at some tyre & exhaust places?

Also, does any firm produce boxes with repackable baffles (removable end pieces)?

Cheers, Mark.

Jonmurgie

Which track was that tested at? I ask as many places are very very random at the dB levels achihved as it depends greatly at how far away and at what angle the meter is held. I've had 96dB and 104dB within 1 track session @ Combe before!

Yesterday @ Combe I measured 96dB again... they didn't bother with driveby's though as there were LOADS of loud cars out there!

I'm running a Magnex backbox and that's it...

Oh, you can get re-packable silencers from places like Merlin Motorsport (www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk) :)

d-9

How loud is 100DB in the real world? Is it "ear bleeding", "migranie inducing" or just "Fecking loud"?

My mates car makes the house shake gently whenever he turns up but we're quite keen to take it out on the track at combe sometime.

mi16nut

It was at Elvington. they had the meter on a 'stick' so distance was consistent.

To be honest, it's getting too loud really. A full race 1293 Mini recorded 115 db :) . He didn't get on, but it wasn't running too well anyway.

Cheers for the repackable link.

Jonmurgie

They usually all have a stick as a distance guide... you ever watched them use it though, horribly inconsistant with it :)

DaveW

do you really need a magnex tho?

fulani

...and I think my standard one sounds too loud!

d-9
do you really need a magnex tho?

yes clearly.

smckeown

exhausts do get louder over time, maybe time for a replacement

richard

I was going to start a new topic but this seems to be as good a place as any.

Does anyone have a noise meter? As i think my scorpion SS will be too loud for the scrutineers should i get collared.

I have ear plugs.....got them from a industrial workshop place.

dead205

I'm just about to go and pick up my car after getting my scorpion back box quietened down a bit. A place round the corner from me works wonders with exhausts.

Although I didn't have the sound level measured I was sure it would fail the 95db limit for croft on sunday so for the cost I thought it would be better than a fail on the day.

mark

smckeown

a good trick i learnt in my caterham days with regards to sound levels is if you think you are over the noise limit you just reduce your rev limit (manually). So when the tester ask you your normal rev limit, reduce it by say 1000rpm and then he/she will then test at 3/4 of your lower limit. Then just put some tape on your rev counter and make sure you dont go over it. Its a good technique that coulkd make the difference between no fun and lots of fun (albeit at a slightly lower rev limit). Nothing worse than losing a whole day's track fun over 1k of revs

mi16nut
I'm just about to go and pick up my car after getting my scorpion back box quietened down a bit. A place round the corner from me works wonders with exhausts.

So how do they do that then? I can't see any way to repack the baffles other than cutting a silencer box & re-welding!

dead205

tbh thats the only thing i can think that they'd do. Just waiting for a call to see what they have done and how much it'll cost! :(

Ahl
How loud is 100DB in the real world? Is it "ear bleeding", "migranie inducing" or just "Fecking loud"?

All three.

The limit where you must have hearing protection is 85dB average during a working day, and that is uncomfortably loud. 100dB is f***ing loud, at the ear of course. :(

damien

anyone know where you can pick up them cool sound testing toys?

mi16nut
anyone know where you can pick up them cool sound testing toys?
Maplin. I reckon they have one on offer for @ £30 at the moment.

mikeyde

113db is equivilant to a Boeing 747 taking off so 110db is still rather loud. Our old band used to regularly engage the Volume limiter set 115bd in a local practise hall :blush::D im deaf in my left ear now tho :D

mi16nut

Maplin don't seem to have noise meters on special anymore; now £60!

You can hire one from Bookatrack for £9.00 incl. p&p at http://www.bookatrack.com/-pp?15 . Better than being turned down when you get to the track with no refund as a Mini owner did 2 weeks ago!

Mark.

Sign in to follow this