• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DaveK

Stud Conversion Help

DaveK

I was considering doing a stud conversion but since ive threaded one of the bolt holes on the front drivers hub i wont be able to use the ones that screw in. Was reading in another topic that you can get ones that require drilling out the existing holes and putting the studs in.

Anyone know where to get these as it may be a better option than finding another front hub

cheers

dave

Jonmurgie

Just get antoher hub if you've shagged the thread in the one you have, will be much easier :)

Or if you still want to salveage the one you have try calling up some Motorsport Preparation companies and see what they advise :o

base-1

It would actually be better to use some proper studs instead of the screw-in crap that goes in standard holes and only relies on loctite to stay there (and before people moan at me I have them on my car!)

I've not looked into it but any car with studs as standard that are long enough would work. Ford, Porsche, blah blah

bren_1.3

dont bother with the stud conversion, i bought mine from RSM and lost a wheel mid rally, they just sheared off at the hub face. will never trust them now.

Jonmurgie

I don't have any problem with mine... though the rears are far greater quality that the fronts (the rears being from SBC and the fronts from eBay)

Craigb
dont bother with the stud conversion, i bought mine from RSM and lost a wheel mid rally, they just sheared off at the hub face. will never trust them now.

There's a lot of dodgey conversions out there with sub standard material . the sets from AB / West Mids are high tensile rather than std Mild Steel

I've run stud conversions on mine for 6 years and had no issues....

Edited by Craigb

pug_ham

The group buys I did last year were for the studs from Graystone engineering & they supply several motorsport shops (rally designs for one).

No complaints so far.

Graham.

Rippthrough
The group buys I did last year were for the studs from Graystone engineering & they supply several motorsport shops (rally designs for one).

No complaints so far.

Graham.

Seen some of the grayston locking bolts tested before, and if anything they're stronger than the original bolts.

jackherer

No complaints so far.

Graham.

I got two sets of these in the group buy and they are fine despite loads of abuse, I'm going to need a third set soon and I was going to ask you where they were from but theres no need now B)

casnell

I'm after some studs to convert my car, anyone know what size I need for 1.6 front/1.9 rears?

Obviously 12mmx60mm, but 1.5 or 1.25?

Cheers, Chris

Edited by casnell

pug_ham

1.25 iirc, the bits you need are listed in the topics from last years group buys here & here with links to Graystones website that you can match the part numbers I ordered to the thread sizes you need.

Graham.

casnell

Thanks Graham, I'd searched but couldn't find a reference to thread size. Tried graystones but for 1 order they suggested Demon-Tweeks, think that sounds good.

pug_ham

You could also try Rally Design, they get them from Graystone afaik.

Graham.

Guest puglet

all the people i know runing studs including myself bought them from RD and never had a problem no bad reports. they've been used for competion and road use and never had any problems. you can also get peugoet talbot sport studs that are indistructable!!

johnrobertgordon
I was considering doing a stud conversion but since ive threaded one of the bolt holes on the front drivers hub i wont be able to use the ones that screw in. Was reading in another topic that you can get ones that require drilling out the existing holes and putting the studs in.

Anyone know where to get these as it may be a better option than finding another front hub

cheers

dave

You can use the threaded ones...............just weld the feckers in! just dont get ones that are too long because every one will laugh at you till you cut them down......like they did to me.

Baz

Who cares if they're too long!!

I wasn't aware that the 1.6 and 1.9 ones were different at all, and i've just bought some from someone on here!!

Guest puglet
I wasn't aware that the 1.6 and 1.9 ones were different at all, and i've just bought some from someone on here!!

there's no differance at all in the thread, the same studs will fit all pug's and cit's, only difference is length, last i looked it was 60mm and 80mm i think, if your running spacers go for the 80's.

"just weld the feckers in!"

a nice blob at the bottom will hold them, or weld the whole thing from the back for the unremovable approach!

jackherer
just dont get ones that are too long because every one will laugh at you till you cut them down......like they did to me.

I deliberately use the 80mm ones to keep my options open. If anyone laughs at me I'll drive next to them and cut their tyres up wacky races style :D

Sign in to follow this