• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest pugpowa

1360cc Tu Engine Turbo Project

Guest pugpowa

we have fitted an ax gt engine and box from my old ax into my brothers phase 1 106, been thinking about a winter project for it, and came up with the idea of turbocharging it, got a list of parts we know we will need etc. will be using 5turbo parts,carb/intercooler etc and have somebody who can refabricate the exhaust and manifold to fit the turbocharger.just wondering if anybody knows how much boost can be put through a standard engine?without uprating the bottom end. spacer plate for the head is relatively cheap and easy enough to do, but want to do the whole thing for less than £400/500,can get the r5 bits cheaply too. parts we think we will be needing are

uprated head gasket

5 turbo carb/elbow

electric fuel pump(inline,5 turbo maybe)

turbocharger

intercooler

boost hoses

vernier pulley

timing adjustments will need to made also

bleed valve/adjustable boost controller of some description

accurate boost guage

dump valve of some description too.

i know people are gonna say, dont bother,just buy an r5 etc. but if it can be done, we want to do it, dont think there are too many turbocharged phase 1 106's about :) so it will be something a little different

Hilgie

get two headgaskets and a 1mm spacer plate (laser cut with a headgasket as template).

Bleedvalves are 10 pounds new of eBay.

TEKNOPUG

There was a really good website a Dutch guy had up, detailing his 1.4 turbo conversion. I haven't been able to find it just yet though.

Dj_mini

Hi im unsure if its the exact same tu but i ran a turbo conversion on my 8v saxo the bottom ends on the saxos are bomb prof i started running 6psi with a standard lump just extra fueling them moved to two head gaskets flowed head and ran 8psi no probs then went i for it 12psi total rebuild low comp pistons extra injectors big intercooler water injection ect and ended up with 160 atw ruff 190 ish at the fly :D

Edited by Dj_mini

A18_RYU

bit curious about this topic.....

if you did run the turbo, how would you make sure there is enough fuel and air going in?

surely best idea would be to get an aftermarket ecu and get it mapped properly???

as for how much boost u can run i have no idea....best bet is to call some places that have done turbo conversions on similar engines....

:wacko:

Hilgie

the R5GTT carb takes care of the extra fuel..it is designed to run on boost.

A18_RYU

ah right, so it is relatively easy then!

stu_woac

it over fuels alot, and if its the ally block the liners move under pressure so after 2k its normally dead unless your running hardly any boost

as the guy with the saxo has said that bottom end does take a hammering with out a problem and thats the way I would go

as you will find out from pieter he gave up on the 1.4 as it was causing him to much bother

so did the 1.6 16v instead

Guest leegt

yeah i did this to my axgt. R5 turbo and carb adapter plate to fit the turbo, two head gaskets got 112 bhp so not bad and it only cost afew hudred quid to do, i converted mine then to 1.6 saxo engine with low comp pistons running 12 psi with very good results, reason i'm telling you this is cos if you do yours you'll always want more power like me then you end up spendind 10k!!! but its good when it works

Guest pugpowa

i'm glad to hear other people have tried this using the same method, and i'm not a madman! not bothered about silly fast,he's only 18,so power will be kept down due to the insurance company having fits about it! just wanted it to be a bit different and something that will keep my 205 in sight and try something that is new to me(dont have as much tu experience as i do with xu lumps) is the carb adaptor plate readily available?seem to be able to get hold of everything else really easy. looking to start work on it after pugfest,as long as it dont get stacked or owt during the summer :P

Guest leegt

carb adapter plate made really easy from a bit of 10mm ally, keep turbo boost down to around 5-6 psi and the charge air cool and i wouldnt worry to much about putting another head gasket in, keep it simple and it will only cost you a few hundred quid. p.s dont use a diesel turbo try to get a renualt 5 one

Guest pugpowa

cool, thats ok then! we will be using a renault 5 turbo unit, heard things about the seals in diesel turbo's breaking down with the heat and stuff? also, i can get a ready supply of 5turbo engine bits fairly cheap/free, so should be easy to maintain on that side of things.

Sign in to follow this