• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jonand

Autograss Racing Set Up

jonand

I am (still :) ) in the process of building an Mi16 Autograss racer, and have learned an awful lot from this forums well informed contributors. Autograss racing is run on approx 1/4 mile ovals run clockwise from a standing start, the surface is generally very smooth (no ruts) and varies between slightly loose surface soil to hard packed and slick surface capable of leaving soft tyre rubber marks.

The rear floor and beam is totally removed and replaced by rose jointed trailing arms with coil overs all mounted into the semi space frame. The rear track is approx 50mm wider than std and uses 140lb springs with 4" of available bump travel and 2" of rebound - all on the advice of other competitors. The idea seems to be to reduce as much weight at the rear as possible and increase the weight at front offside.

I have not touched the front suspension yet, but the layout is as the standard car i.e. struts and wishbones. I would be interested to hear opinions on set up regarding rear camber, tracking and ride height (all adjustable) and corner weights, together with front camber, caster, ride height, track width etc - obviously taking account of the somewhat different application tomost on this forum.

Many Thanks

Jon

mbayley77

I dont know much about the Auto grass scene but know a few people on here are into it.

Would be really interesting for myself and am sure other people to see some pictures and a following story of your build as it progresses.

Good luck with everything.

jonand
I dont know much about the Auto grass scene but know a few people on here are into it.

Would be really interesting for myself and am sure other people to see some pictures and a following story of your build as it progresses.

Hi there, sorry about delayed response - dont get onto forum as often as I woulkd like. I am trying to post some pictures - but I dont appear to have file attachments enabled (perhaps I'm too new to forum?) - tried the help files and that resulted in losing all my reply text - so try again ;)

I have completed most of the hard work i.e. shell preparation, spaceframe / cage, rear suspension fabrication, and just have paintwork, brakes, electrics, change g/box with quaif (bought from this forum), baffle sump, fuel system (small alloy tank in engine bay) - then set the whole thing up - which is how this thread started :)

Hope you find this of interest, and will post some pictures when I am allowed (unless anyone tells me what I am doing wrong !)

Cheers

Jon

veloce200

Hi Jon

it'll be much like an oval set up in terms of camber/stagger/ weight jacking. eg offside front maybe 4 deg -ve, ns front maybe 1 deg +ve, corner weighted with say 55% across front right rear left etc. I've got no experience of grass track or oval though so you're probably best of getting advice from fellow competitors unless we have some grass trackers on here?

good luck !

jonand

Lets try this link to see !! (novice user)

april060239ao.th.jpg[/url] april060196cs.th.jpg april060204lh.th.jpg [/img]

jonand
Hi Jon

it'll be much like an oval set up in terms of camber/stagger/ weight jacking. eg offside front maybe 4 deg -ve, ns front maybe 1 deg +ve, corner weighted with say 55% across front right rear left etc. I've got no experience of grass track or oval though so you're probably best of getting advice from fellow competitors unless we have some grass trackers on here?

good luck !

Thanks for that - As we race clockwise, I guess the camber settings you suggest would be reversed.

I realise that my application is a bit unusual to most on this forum - but there seem to be a number of well informed contributors that could apply their science and knowledge to any application - I live in hope.

Regards

Jon

veloce200
Thanks for that - As we race clockwise, I guess the camber settings you suggest would be reversed.

I realise that my application is a bit unusual to most on this forum - but there seem to be a number of well informed contributors that could apply their science and knowledge to any application - I live in hope.

Regards

Jon

sorry I should have said outside wheel - I did know you were going clockwise - my thoughts were based on clockwise direction - at least I got the crossweight bit right ! sorry about that ! I reckon you'd need a lot of toe out to prevent understeer too.

Edited by veloce200

Sign in to follow this