• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest tommosbooks

Cti Roof Woes

Guest tommosbooks

Good day to you all.

We have a 1989 CTI with power roof. The roof decided to get stuck in the halfway up/down position while at Tesco's yesterday. We managed to get it back shut, but i can no longer power the roof. The horn has also stopped working. I can't find any info in the Haynes manual (!) I can't even locate a wiring diagram showing the power hood details. The horn works with a live feed, so no problems there.

I have jumped the switch wires, no go.

Please help, summer is round the corner, after such a dreary winter, we need roof-down fun to make us happy!!!

Cheers,

Tommo

Guest smokinslim

First places i'd suggest to check is the relevant fuse and then the earth points for the hood. Failing that all wires wires to do with the hood, could it be shorting somewhere. The other possibility is the hydraulic pump's packed up. I don't know what new pumps cost but wouldn't fancy asking peugeot to get me one of them, they pop up on ebay from time to time.

You don't really need a power hood anyway, can drop mine one handed from driving position (not whilst movin coz that'd be daft lol).

Guest tommosbooks

Thanks for that!

Do you know which fuse controls the hood pump?

I can't see any blown fuses anywhere. Is there another box for the roof somewhere?

Cheers,

Tommo

steve@cornwall

june 2003 practical classics guide says power hood won't work if the oil warning light doesn't come on.

Don't know if it's true but thought I'd read it somewhere

Phil H

It's true regarding the oil pressure warning light, as this is the safety method of making sure it cannot be operated with the engine running, cant recall if mine only works on the first click on the ignition.

Is it retro fitted, as I did not think they had power hoods until phase 2 Sep 1990.

There is a small tap on the hood pump to relive pressure for manual operation.

Edited by Philip Hills

Guest tommosbooks

Thanks for all the tips!

Yes, I turned the pump 'knob', and yes, the hood can be folded easily.

I would, of course, love to have the power option, though.

I studied the Haynes book again, and can find no reference to the power system whatsover in the wiring diagrams. Does anyone know which fuse protects the system, and is there a relay for the pump?

I would have thought that if there is a relay for the horn, the pump would have one?

Once again, many thanks for the help.

Tommo

Henry Yorke

My brothers H plate 1.6 CTI has a power hood. Not sure on the date of registration though.

can't help you yet on the power hood fuse though. If I get chance I will pull fuses out and see whay my 93 CTI hood stops working

dead205

Really strange one this but my power roof, window washers and horn are all not working. I'm guessing at a bad earth or fuse at the minute. If i get it solved i will let you no as soon as.

Mark

Guest tommosbooks

Cheers Mark.

I'm still no closer to solving this one!!!

All the best,

Tommo

dead205

Guess what? I've only got the solution to our problems!!!

I left my car with my autoelectrician yesterday - It's no coincidence that both our roofs and horns dont work. They are both run off the same circuit. You wont find no problem with any fuses because the issues is with the fuse board itself!!!

I've left him with a replacement from a gti but if that doesn't work he said he will put an inline fuse in to solve the problem.

Will let you know more when I get it back tomorrow.

cheers

mark

Guest tommosbooks

Hi Guys,

Sorry for the delay in responding,

I fixed the power roof by swapping a relay, both the horns and the roof started working again!

But....

Now they have both stopped again, and someone is coming to look at the car with a view to buying tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!

I have got some new relays, tried them in, but with no luck.

Mark, did your man get yours working?

Even swearing at it hasn't worked this time!

In my Haynes manual, the wiring diagram uses wire codes, but none of the roof electrics are mentioned in the book, and none of the wires seem to have codes on anyway.

Is there a picture of which relay may cover the horn/roof?

Is it fuse 8??

Cheers in advance,

Tommo :P

Phil H

Have you tried cleaning up inside the switch with some switch cleaner sparay from Maplins?

Guest tommosbooks

Not yet!

Would that also stop the horns from working though?

What is the score with the oil pressure circuit?

Could that be affecting the system?

Cheers,

Tommo

Phil H

The hood relays earth through oil pressure switch somewhere, so hood cannot operate with engine running...if no oil pressure light, then no hood.

As for the horns...errr, usual case of multimeter job and see whre the power is not getting through.

Sign in to follow this