• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dead205

Do You Think My Car Is Low Enough?

dead205

Have a look at the images to see what you think:

FrontWheel3.jpg

FrontWheel1.jpg

Think I will need to lift this up a little :) - Anyway here comes the question.

The CTI has xs running gear - the leaflet that comes with my avo springs says that it lowers the gti by 30mm and 1.0 - 1.4's by 55mm. If I fit these springs will I get the 30mm lower height (which I want) or go back to 55mm lower (as it is now). I don't want to change it all over to find it's the same when I put the car back on the floor.

Mark

Edited by dead205

d-9

looks perfect from here :)

dead205
looks perfect from here

Alright for going in a straight line only!! :D

I've read the other post and I agree - it looks like the full 1.9 set up will have to be transplanted. The car already has a 309 rear beam and the rear height is perfect. I really just wanted to get the car on the road quickly by fitting the avo adjustables and -30mm springs. ah well when was 205 ownership ever easy!! :)

Come to think of it i've got a standard set of gti shocks and springs in the shed - am I right in thinking these will give a 25mm drop from cti standard and will be a straight swap. If so I can get it mot'd on these and then play with the subframe later.

P.S My alloys are bad but thet look worse in that picture - anyone know a good refurb guy ooooppp north?

Mark

Edited by dead205

Guest smokinslim

I doubt that you would see a 25mm drop from dampers alone. I went from old/slightly damaged gti dampers to brand new cti dampers, lifted the front end a little but i don't think it was anywhere near that mount. The cti dampers are noticeably softer in use, but better than those that were originally on the car. Cti's are set up like the xs but there are a few differences in the spec of the suspension.

Alright for going in a straight line only!! :)

Out of interest, what effects is the height having on cornering, or rather what problems are you experiencing?

Henry Yorke

2CTI-Mille-Wheels.jpg

This is the height of my green skip with Eibach springs on the front

GLPoomobile

Ummmm, if a set of springs will fit all 205s including the GTi, surely the difference in the quoted lowered measurement is due to the fact that the GTi has lower springs as standard than the other models. Hence if a GTi is 25mm lower than other models as standard, a particular set of springs will lower it by 30mm, or a 'base ' model by 55mm.

tom_m

hmm cti 6, 309 rear beam, thats not maxi's old cti is it? :D

Banjo

I was just about to say it looks like Maxi height to me..

steve@cornwall

looks about the same as my silver cti, done when I bought it, handles better than my standard gti. how about lowering the profile of the tyres instead?

28CRAIG

hi i used to have a xs and was going to put 1.9gti suspension on but

a bit of ice had other ideas. the xs does not have the drop links on the

anti roll bar so best to go for gti subframe and suspension this will bring

the ride up as well

dead205
hmm cti 6, 309 rear beam, thats not maxi's old cti is it? :D

Sure is - Good guy that Maxi

This all started when i was changing the wheels for mot - All the wheels i have spare with good tyres are 55 profile. 50's came off, back end height is fine but the front will scrub like mad if left as is.

Just now looking at the easiest way to raise the front a bit for mot - I've got a standard get of shocks and springs, avo's with -30mm springs and a set of -30mm springs laying about to use.

I find the car corners really well, but i'd like to take a bit of pressure off the cv joints and level the car off a little (its lower at the front)

Oh and theres no way at the minute i can get my 2 tonne jack under it - had to use a 10 jack first then the trolley!!!

steve@cornwall

Oh and theres no way at the minute i can get my 2 tonne jack under it - had to use a 10 jack first then the trolley!!!

scissor- jack first on mine, I had to physically lift each corner for the axle jacks to fit under it for mot!

luckily(?) the plastic arches are worn right through due to previous owner having 16" rims , so maybe cut the return lip off a set to avoid scrubbing?

Alastairh

Take into account the extra weight of the 6 lump when choosing springs.

like henry putting up pics of his shed, it will sit lower on the same springs.

How is the car getting on then? Done much to it?

found a link to pics of when adam had it http://ben.loaded.net/gallery/view_album.p...umName=maxi-cti

Alastair

Edited by Alastairh

tom_m
Sure is - Good guy that Maxi

This all started when i was changing the wheels for mot - All the wheels i have spare with good tyres are 55 profile. 50's came off, back end height is fine but the front will scrub like mad if left as is.

Just now looking at the easiest way to raise the front a bit for mot - I've got a standard get of shocks and springs, avo's with -30mm springs and a set of -30mm springs laying about to use.

I find the car corners really well, but i'd like to take a bit of pressure off the cv joints and level the car off a little (its lower at the front)

i so wanted that cti, but just couldn't scrape together the dosh :) if it were mine i'd leave it as is, with a view to upgrading to full gti spec subframe and stuts (but keeping the same ride height)

Sign in to follow this