• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest lordchris

Long Range Driving Lamps For Mot

Guest lordchris

Hi do i need these to work for the mot ??

i understand they are not fog lights ...

and all the other lights work fine

i believe the relay is missing in the fuse box for them, but if i dont need them

for the mot, ill not bother gettin one

anyone know ???

Rob_the_Sparky

AFAIK if fitted then they must work but I could be wrong.

Guest lordchris
AFAIK if fitted then they must work but I could be wrong.

they arnt fog lights

and u are only required to have headlights working which i have ...

need a definitive answer

tagy

I'm sure rob knows they are not fog lights.

u are only required to have headlights working which i have

haven't you just answered your own question?

Edited by tagy

pug_ham

Any light, whatever it is for, if fitted has to be working, only exception afaik is the reversing light as they aren't a test requirement.

Graham.

Russelltp

The driving lamps and fog lamps on my 309 aren't wired in and that passed no problem. I asked my MOT tester about it beforehand, he said they weren't a testable item as such as they aren't required for an MOT however if one driving lamp worked and one didn't then it would have been a fail.

GLPoomobile

My old 1.9 had non standard driving lamps that did not work. As far as I know they were wired in but just didnlt work (probably corroded connectons). It was not mentioned on the MOT.

As far as I'm concerned the only front lights that need to work for an MOT are indicators, sidelights, dipped beam and main beam. Since not all cars have front fog lights they probably don't even need to be working if fitted.

pug_ham

It seems to vary at every MOT station then as some people on here have previously failed because the driving lights didn't work or the tester thought they were fog lights iirc.

I removed my STDT's driving lights as they had corroded connections & didn't work just to save them being all it failed on.

• Front and rear position lamps, rear registration plate lamps, rear fog lamps

Headlamps

Stoplamps

Rear reflectors

Direction indicators and hazard warning devices

Headlamp aim

Break down on testing of lights etc here, full test breakdown here.

Graham.

d-9

all 3 of the 309 gtis ive had have passed at 4 different test stations (two in yorkshire, one in sussex, one in reading) with both foglights and drivinglights present but not working.

markic

Technically, if they is fitted they gotta work.

Rom

My work does MOTs, and front fogs arent tested. Niether are reverse lights.

jshep205gti

Depends who tests your car.

The guy that does all my MOT's wouldn't even think about failing a car for not having working driving lights. In fact I've sat in the car a couple of times, he says sidelights, lights then flips..... then indicators. I'd be well angry if my car failed on not having working fog/driver lights. Althought TECHNICALLY, if on the car they might have to be working..... just take them off for MOT if you are doubting.

Guest ben205
Depends who tests your car.

The guy that does all my MOT's wouldn't even think about failing a car for not having working driving lights. In fact I've sat in the car a couple of times, he says sidelights, lights then flips..... then indicators. I'd be well angry if my car failed on not having working fog/driver lights. Althought TECHNICALLY, if on the car they might have to be working..... just take them off for MOT if you are doubting.

Personally i wouldnt go to the hassle of removing them. I had driving lamps in my st tropez valance that didnt work at the time, they still passed the MOT. Ask when you take it in and if in the unlikely chance it does fail, ask your tester to remove them. Can't see it doing myself though.

Guest lordchris

well guys the mot is this evening i will let u know tomoro how i get on !!

Sign in to follow this