• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
A18_RYU

Its Drinking Water :(

A18_RYU

my engine seems to be just drinking water, i filled the header tank up to max with water and i started up the engine and then it just drunk it all....

so i filled it up again and it took it all again...

sign of head gasket going??

i got no mayonaise in the filler cap though....

should i be worried??

cheers

christopher

WHat does the oil look like? Steam out the back?? Check the radiator is not leaking...

jonD6B

Might just be air locks shifting allowing more water in? Without clouds of smoke out the back on start up and no obvious spillage it can't actually go anywhere. Did you bleed the system before starting the engine?

A18_RYU

bugger,knew i forgot something! bleeding the system!!!

how do i fix this??

jonD6B

On the 1.9 there is a bleed valve on the large water hose by the bulkhead. Not sure if the 1.6 is the same.

jack biscuit

edited because i'm in the wrong thread..!

Edited by jack biscuit

jonD6B

Oops! I didn't look at the title properly. What size engine is it sorry? :lol:

A18_RYU

its a 106 gti engine.

i remember seeing my mechanic blowing air into the header tank with the radiator cap open....would this be right way of doin this?

also, do i need to flush water/oil out first??

jonD6B

I wouldn't have thought that it would be necessary to blow air into the system unless there was air trapped that needed purging out. Somewhere at a high point on the system or radiator there should be a bleed valve. Fill the resevoir, sqeeze the water pipes to push the water round the system and open the bleed valve until water comes out. You might want to run the car for a few minutes without the cap on to disperse air going around the system but it's not always necessary IMO.

A18_RYU

cheers mate! will give it a go :lol:

A18_RYU

ok, there is a fair bit of smoke, well steam kinda looking...it drifts off for about 0.5m from the rear and then disappears.... not dark smoke, more bluey white smoke......

bled the system using the valve and blowing in the header, got the water coming out and then closed the valve air tight.

head gasket...??

Sign in to follow this