• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob Thomson

Help... I Know Nothing About Tus...

Rob Thomson

I didn't ever imagine I'd be posting on this part of the forum, but I've just bought a 106 Rallye S1 rally car and it occured to me that I know nothing about the TU series of engines.

So.... I was wondering whether anyone would be kind enough to give me a run-down on what's what?

What engine codes correspond to which engine? What's a TU3, a TU24 etc, and which one is mine?!

Thanks in advance,

Rob.

d-9

Try looking on the 106 idiot register www.106rallye.co.uk

dont buy anything from 106parts if u can help it thou, theyre not very good at delivering things.

Rob Thomson
dont buy anything from 106parts if u can help it thou, theyre not very good at delivering things.

You know me, Doug. I'll be straight down to the local Pug dealer with my credit card...

Thanks...

d-9

haha you mean the peugeot-sport boutique or special tuning.

What modz u got already? If u dont have them already then a thugsport group n decat exhaust is essential, and a drilled airbox with ITG filter is one of the best options for induction.

Obviously a 16v conversion is the way to go...thou that might push it into a different class for rallying?

Rob Thomson

It's standard apart from an induction kit (think it's a 57i but couldn't really give a f*ck about these things) and an OMP Group N exhaust. Think it's still got the Cat, but could be wrong.

It's getting a 16V conversion only when this engine blows up. It would put me in the more competitive <1600cc class rather than the <1400cc class, but I couldn't give a f*ck about that either - I just do it for the gratuitous sideways action.

Guest Nuno205Rallye

Yours is a TU2J2 engine :o

Although it has the same capacity as the TU2/4 engine of the 205 Rallye (the real one, not the UK version) it only shares the same crankshaft.

The block of the TU2J2 is higher than the TU24, and as so... the conrods are longer (wich gives them a better ratio of stroke vs rod lenght).

The head is different from the TU2/4 also, the size of the camshaft bearings is different, the head has holes for the injectors, no distributor drive etc etc ...

Think that they share the same sump pan and the same oil coling plate (cooled by water).

Very revvy engine, will survive 7500 rpm all day long and then some.

bren_1.3
I didn't ever imagine I'd be posting on this part of the forum,

its all abit back water on this part of the forum ey?

worth reading.

Rob Thomson

Excellent - thanks for that guys.

Is the head the same as the larger TUs? Is it ported at all, or just good as it's cast? Are new liners available?

Really just wondering what to do long-term, whether to stick to the 1.3 or upgrade to the 16V. Having read the thread about the Pumaracing 1360cc I'm quite tempted to get a proper TU2J2 :lol: engine built... Hmmm.

Guest Nuno205Rallye

The head has got the same valve size has the TU2/4 and the TU5J2 engine, but has got 7mm stems instead of the 8mm stems of the TU2/4.

The casting is very good, but can be improved upon.

Using the formula in PumaRacing site, these heads have valve sizes to flow up to 150 bhp :)

Maybe I'm wrong with my math ;)

d-9
Really just wondering what to do long-term, whether to stick to the 1.3 or upgrade to the 16V. Having read the thread about the Pumaracing 1360cc I'm quite tempted to get a proper TU2J2 :) engine built... Hmmm.

Its a difficult descision, the 16v is a very very good engine as standard, but those graphs and figures that puma posted are quite attractive. The 16v probably has the potential to go further and retain the driveability, I could drop in a pair of cams and get about 157bhp ;)

There is a theory that the extra weight of the 16v engine destroys the handling of the rallye, personally I havent driven a 1.3 rallye enough to be able to comment, but my 16v XSI is one of the best handling standard cars Ive driven, thou my mate clearly has some problems with the handling of his:

15153313740.jpg

Rob Thomson

There's nothing wrong with how that's handling! Looks perfect to me...

The only thing I have against the 16V conversion is the loss of the giant killing potential of the 1300cc. My mate who I've bought it from is a VERY handy driver, and it always makes for entertaining conversations with competitors at rallies. At the stage rally we did a couple of weeks ago a bloke with an Impreza that we'd followed through the previous stage came up to us in the service area and asked what engine it had in it. "Standard 1300, mate." (Read: You're a telentless cock who'd be better off spending your weekends gardening.) Adds to the fun, don't you think?

Sign in to follow this