• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matty_gti

Bigger Wheels!

matty_gti

hi, ive just put some 17's on my 1.6 (205/45/17) and i was wondering whether my speed i read on my clock is correct due to the fact thet the wheel has to turn more to complete just one rotation.

I dont want to go threw a camera reading 30mph and im really doing 35mph

Any ideas????

Ahl

It'll give a 6.7% percent misreading.

So 32mph when the speedo shows 30mph (if you take the speedo to be 100% accurate) and 75mph when the speedo shows 70mph.

It'll also slow how fast the car accelerates and ruin the handling, but I guess you know that and thats not why your fitting them.

Jonmurgie

17's cool... let's see a pic :)

matty_gti

ok, but how do i put a picture on here? :)

cybernck

how have you managed to fit 205/45, are you sure they're not 205/40?

Guest BrainFluid

Tyre size speed comparison calculator >here<

Nate.

Hilgie

you should have fitted 205/40/17 to reduce the misreading.

matty_gti

pic

oops, a bit big, o well.

o yeah, they are 205/40-17. :D

What do you peps think???.....Yay or nay???

(edit: pic too large)

Edited by jackherer

Hilgie

Yay! But it needs to be lowered really!

mak

Wheels look good, but not liking the drum shining away behind the wheels, I would prefer them black....but each to their own

jonD6B

Now that the handling is compromised anyway I'd drop it 45mm. :D The wheels suit the car which looks great BTW.

Edited by jonD6B

matty_gti

Yeah id prob go for a rear beam disk conversion when i find one next.

The next thing is getting it lowerd at pug-performance. but i dont know how much by?. i ideally want the top of the wheels at the rear to be inline with the plastic arch, and the front of the wheels about 20mm away from the arch so when i hang it around corners my arches dont fly off. :)

Thanks for your opinons, its taken me a whole yeah and a bit of blood sweat and tears to get it lookin like that, considering it was ready for the scrap heap in the sky when i bort it on ebay for £50. :D

tom_m

yay, but get it decked!

arches should be fine as long as you trim the lip off the plastic

do you get much attention from the police cos of your number plate?

matty_gti

cool, thats the first thing i did before painting the arches, cut the palstic lip away, thought it would give me more clearence.

well its not on the road yet, but will be from next week so im guessin i will get a fair bit of attention from the bill, but ill keep the originals in the boot and swap them over if pulled, even tho they look crap :) .

Foltan

yeah wheels look really good, but will look better lowered.

As for your original question, bare in mind the difference in tyre profile between the original and new wheels. i.e. If you have 15's with high profile tyres, such as 50/55 and 17's with lower profile, 40, theres not going to be a huge difference in actual total diameter. does that make sense?! And as your speedo is unlikely to be spot on anyway, theres probably not alot to worry about!! :P

Sign in to follow this