• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest TSL 333

What Kind Of Engine Is This?

Guest TSL 333

I bought my MY88 (F) Peugeot 205 1.6 GTI in February this year and the previous owner claimed it has a 1.9 GTI engine upgrade. So, from the attached photograph, what do you guys think? What size and what year? To be fair, the car feels like a 1.9 GTI but I cannot be sure................... :rolleyes:

DSCI0010.jpg

Jonmurgie

Easy way to tell is what RPM your doing at 70mph... unless the 'box has been swapped!

Short of an engine number I don't think there is an obvious difference from a glance at the engine bay...

M3Evo

I always get this wrong, but I think that's an Xu10 engine?

Don't think it really belongs in there (from the factory anyway) but if the insurance has been told, who cares?!

Ryan

Isn't that the 105bhp 1.9 from the 405 SRI/BX GTI?

Definatly NOT a 1.9 GTI engine!

Guest TSL 333
I always get this wrong, but I think that's an Xu10 engine?

Don't think it really belongs in there (from the factory anyway) but if the insurance has been told, who cares?!

Yeah, I am confused now!!!

Strange, the car passed a Golf GTI at knockhill yestarday and has previously passed an RS1800i Fiesta at the same place so I guess it's not the standard 1.6 GTI?

No comment about the insurance company..........

Edited by TSL 333

d-9

Its definitly the inlet manifold from a 1.9 BX or 405, however it could be a 1.9 or 1.6 205 engine with a different inlet manifold (they are interchangeable remember). However Id say thats pretty unlikely as Ive never heard of anyone fitting that inlet onto a 205, so chances are its the complete engine from a BX. I forget what power it makes iirc its less than a 1.9 205 but more torque. Do a search for 405 SRI and you should find out more.

KRISKARRERA
105bhp??! Tut tut It's 125bhp. Better engine than the GTi.

d-9

Is it? really? cool, time to go rip a 405 apart :rolleyes:

d-9

awww no fun :rolleyes:

so anyway, how is it better than the 205 engine?

Guest TSL 333

Guys, this is great news!!!

So I have a 405 SRI/ Citreon BX engine with 125 bhp with better torque than a 1.9 GTI then?

Incidentally, what does a 1.9 GTI make?

d-9

book figure for a 1.9gti is 130ps or 128bhp. in reality most make 120ish.

Wonder what one of those inlet manis on a normal 205 engine would be like, coz it looks like its got really long runners compared to standard.

Anthony
Wonder what one of those inlet manis on a normal 205 engine would be like, coz it looks like its got really long runners compared to standard.

Won't fit AFAIK

Guest TSL 333

Thanks Anthony.

Is it definately not the Citreon one then? I see that the Citreon one has slightly more torque and the performance statistics vary significantly.

i.e it is, as you say, definately the 405 SRI 1.9 engine @ 125bhp

d-9

Could well be the citroen one, In my travels round the scrapyards Ive certainly seen a lot more of those in BXs than in 405s.

Doubt theres any difference, just some numpty cant type the data into the spreadsheet properly.

Guest TSL 333

Well, I am quite chuffed; at the end of the day, I appear to have a 1.9 engine with more torque than the 1.9 GTI (albeit with slightly less BHP.) This could even explain why some of my dials appear to give bizzare (low readings) as I assume the sensors will be different on each model? In conclusion, it is a fast wee car that shows up a few other cars that should be faster than a 1.6 GTI!!!!!!!!!!!!! I assume that the exhaust manifold would be off the donor car rather than the origional 1.6 GTI (it has a hairline crack?

Anthony

Exhaust manifolds are the same.

Both the 405 SRi and BX GTi 8v have identical engines as far as I'm aware.

There are two different engine codes for that engine:

• D6A (XU9J2) which was the earlier (87-90) engine that had Jetronic management
  • D6D (XU9J2) which was the later (90-92) engine that had Motronic management

I suspect yours will be a D6A unless someone's swapped the thermostat housing over.

Guest TSL 333

Even better then, considering how light the 205 is by comparison!!! :)

Ahl

Hmm, if I was you I'd be worried that I had an engine that didn't look like the original 1.6, depending on what your insurance company thinks of course.

Guest TSL 333

This is my bothers and my track car only - my 'other car' is a Subaru Impreza; see details on my signature

Sign in to follow this