• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
RHULPUG

Which Size Hub-centric Spacer?

RHULPUG

Hi,

Can someone tell me what size 'Hubcentric' spacers I need for the front wheels on my 205? I have spotted some on ebay but don't know if they are the right size. The wheels are standard speedlines, but the spacers are needed to accomodate the 'Hi-spec' brake calipers. I was thinking of using the 15mm spacers but not sure exactly if those are the right size, so any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

tom_m

a 15mm spacer under the standard speedlines will leave your front wheels about 10mm out of the arches, which is an MOT fail!

RHULPUG

oh, but it already has some form of spacer on it, but I wanted to get the hub centric ones after being advised that they will stop vibration at speed, making the wheel more aligned. The wheels are currently on 1.9 hubs and the car is on 1.9 running gear despite different engine. I was under the impression only the 1.6 GTi's would have wheels sticking out of the bodywork when they have speedlines. My old 1.6 with 1.9 wheels also had spacers to allow for a brake conversion and although the wheels did stick out a bit, it did still pass the MOT.

Just wanted to know though, if the 15mm hubcentric spacer would fit ok, and allow enough room for the hi-spec brake conversion!?

Jonmurgie

Well then, how big are your current spacers? And to find out if they will fit Hi-Spec brakes why not call Hi-Spec up, I've found them quite useful on the phone :angry:

I'm quite surprised you even need to use spacers, I 'almost' had to for my Wilwoods but ended up grinding a little off the back of the caliper instead :D

RHULPUG

Wheel and brake caliper

The above pic shows the wheel with spacers already fitted, and yes I know there's a wheel bolt missing:) That's a good idea Jon, I'll get onto Hi-spec during the week, unless of course anyone has any experience of this already...!? The car is currently in a garage being fixed, otherwise I could check the spacer size currently on there. Looking at photos, the wheels aren't sticking out, but are quite closely on the verge.

205turbo

i used 3mm spacers and gti-6 wheel bolts before i put my racelines on,

RHULPUG

Thanks for that, although 3mm does sound quite small compared to 15mm hubcentric spacers. The idea was just to try and stop the current vibration at speed though the steering wheel, because with standard spacers it's hard to align them exactly with the wheel, and without them isn't an option since the caliper is still very close to the wheel(see pic above)

RHULPUG

BUMP

Jonmurgie

Looking at the pic it seems you only need a very small spacer, and the smaller the better as it puts less stress on your other suspension components. As I said, I did have 5mm spacers on mine but removed then as like you they didn't centre properly and vibrated at speed... I'm yet to find 3/5mm hubcentric spacers, not that I've looked that hard yet! Maybe drop Miles a PM as his place might have something suitable :)

RHULPUG

The picture shown is of the wheel with a spacer already on the wheel. I guess your idea of trimming the caliper sounds like an idea. My only other suggestion was to attach a spacer to the wheel, and then have it balanced, but no one has made comment on this yet.

smckeown

i had hi-spec's on my 205 mi16, and the spacers were only 5mm ish.

RHULPUG

how did you avoid the wheel vibration though?

jackherer

are you still using the standard wheel bolts? if so then longer bolts/studs may sort the vibration for you.

RHULPUG

The wheel bolts on the car are already long enough, so much so that they stick out the other side, but they don't touch anything. Good point though. The main concern is finding a solution to aligning a spacer up to the wheel, but the slightest mis-alignment can cause the wheel to be pretty much unbalanced, hence the need for hub-centric, but the size I'll probably need is too small.

sonofsam

You could always go to a machine shop,get them to turn you

some locating spigot rings,or even some spacers with them in already.

Ali block plate is fairly cheap.

smckeown

I didn't have much of a problem

RHULPUG

Just got off the phone to 'Hi-spec' who have advised me to align the spacer on the hub with double sided sticky tape, then attach the wheel. Has anyone else tried this method and did it work?

petert
I'm yet to find 3/5mm hubcentric spacers, not that I've looked that hard yet!

because they couldn't possibly exist. The thinnest you can possibly make them is approx. 15mm. I make 3 and 5mm spacers on a CNC mill. Because they are machined all in one go, they can be rellied on to by "on centre". They are held in position on the hubs by longer M6 countersunk screws. With a 3mm spacer, the wheel will still locate on the hub centre. It's not as easy with a 5mm spacer, as some wheels have a large chamfer, meaning they won't locate on the hub centre. It's still fine on a track car however, as you don't even worry about balancing tyres. You don't drive at 90-100 km/h.

Edited by petert

RHULPUG

But I do drive at least 90-100km/h, and need a solution to irradicate the effect of sitting in a washing machine at full spin:)

smckeown

are you sure it's the spacer causing the issue ? Are your bearings in good nick ? thats where my vibrations came from before.

RHULPUG

Yeah suspension setup is fairly new, including new wishbones being fitted as we speak at a mechanics. Also had new track rod ends fitted. I suppose the hubs being 'oval' are the only other possibilities. I need to get the tracking sorted out too, but I'm 95% sure it's the spacers not being properly aligned. I had Hi-spec on my previous 205 and noticed the same problem then.

Sign in to follow this