• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
joelpsmith

How To Removel Paint From Glass

joelpsmith

I had a new door sprayed to go on my car and did all the prep work myself, including masking, except when it was done the window was wound down fully and i forgot to mask off behing the lock and door catch holes; hence a dusting of miami blue over part of the glass.

Does anyone have any good tips on how to remove it?

are there any suitable solvents etc?

thanks

jack biscuit
I had a new door sprayed to go on my car and did all the prep work myself, including masking, except when it was done the window was wound down fully and i forgot to mask off behing the lock and door catch holes; hence a dusting of miami blue over part of the glass.

Does anyone have any good tips on how to remove it?

are there any suitable solvents etc?

thanks

Use a new stanley blade to scratch it off, should be fine.. or a little wire wool..

pugrallye

rubbing compound???

davev

ive used a bit of thinners to get perminant marker of windows before but dont know if it would work on paint.

sonofsam

There's also a solvent could TF-90 made by action can,Comes in a rattle tin and smells like cherryade, it evaporates afterwards.

Cant beat a fresh stanley blade dipped in hot soapy water though.

Paintguy
Use a new stanley blade to scratch it off, should be fine.. or a little wire wool..

That's how I do it too (not that I ever get overspray! :wacko: )

Use a new blade as mentioned, so there are no nicks in it to scratch the glass, and keep it at a fairly shallow angle. Finish off gently with wire wool and some glass polish or rubbing compound.

If it's just a fine haze, rather than thick stuff, a clay bar will also get rid of it.

joelpsmith

Thank you all for the reply's.

there was no thick covering of paint so i used a scourer with a touch of nail varnish remover on for good measure. All the paint came off easily enough with just a light scrub and the window doesn't seem to be scratched at all :blink:

jack biscuit

winner!

and paint guy, don't be so ashamed about the over spray... After all, it was the minion's fault for not stripping completely, and all that poor masking work..

isn't it?!

Edited by jack biscuit

Last Legend

Detailing clay works to but the tip about a stanley knife blade is a top tip!Your local AutoGlym rep does a holder/handle for the stanley knife blade which will make the job much quicker and easier.

Paintguy
and paint guy, don't be so ashamed about the over spray... After all, it was the minion's fault for not stripping completely, and all that poor masking work..

isn't it?!

Wasn't actually one of my jobs, but lol anyway :lol:

Super Josh
Your local AutoGlym rep does a holder/handle for the stanley knife blade which will make the job much quicker and easier.

You can get one alot easier/cheaper from any DIY store( B & Q, wickes, Homebase etc. )

Josh

Paintguy

Or get one free from your Mac Tools / Snap On rep :lol:

Edited by Paintguy

d-9
Or get one free from your Mac Tools / Snap On rep :lol:

My snapon rep never gives me anything free :(

jack biscuit

Free snap on kit?! really? heheh..

as for razorblade holders.. how about a bit o' masking tape on one side if you really must, and stop being a fandan about it?!

A little too much moisturiser boys? (nothing wrong with looking after yourself, but honestly! You're suposed to be functional!)

Paintguy

You can't be spending enough then :lol:

Or should that be :( I just get my account paid off, then he tempts me with some more shiny stuff!!!

d-9

Im so glad i never see my snapon rep anymore, he always tempts me with stuff that I cant afford and could get from draper for a fraction of the price, but theres just something about some of the snapon stuff that is so tempting.

I got some free stickers thou :lol:

Paintguy - would you be able to tackle a respray of my 106 at some point? Its black and most of the paint has fallen off :(

Edited by d-9

Sign in to follow this