• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
PumaRacing

1360 Tu With Tb's On The Rollers

PumaRacing

The figures above 'were' without the filter. With it in place power was about the same as with the plenum manifold. However, the filter might have been oiled a bit too much. It's only a stop gap measure anyway. What I want in there ideally is an air box of a specific design and a remote filter up at the front of the engine bay.

Sam
puma can you tell me why my engine peaks at 6500 and then levels of there is no drop off, as its a smilular setup as you have there and that seems to carry on pulling to 8000

So you peak really low but rev it to 9200, pointless. I really don't see how that spec can make 118@wheels. The 1360 XS head isn't amazing.

Kev-G
- Sandy ,I'm into to the scuttle area and the airfilter is about 5mm from the wiper motor frame

(might cut it away !? I'm thinking about trying longer trumpets,I went for the short motorbike ones

to make sure that running them close to the filter would'n't cause any probs.The other rampipes

are about 30mm longer and would end up being about 25mm from the Ramair filter.

I'm going to go back to Wallace Performances Dastek rollers to do a back to back with and without

airfilter and the 2 sizes of rampipe just to see the results overlayed for both power and torque.

Had a fantastic day at Knockhill today,caused a bit of a stir passing some stripped out Astra 2.0 16v's :)

and a good few 8v 205's ,couldn't touch the mi16 boys though! :rolleyes:

Both me and the wife had fun with a guy who'd fitted a 2.0 16v turbo engine into his corsa,when he was in front he pulled away on the straights but we then cought him back up again in the corners.When we went out in front of him on the next session ,we just pulled away from him and left him :) When we were loading up he came across and was a bit embarassed a; to be beaten by an AX b; for it to be a 1360cc c;driven by a woman ! :D

Aye Sandy , your right,you canna beat the sound of a Tu8v at 8000k!?

Hi Gary - How goes it?

Sure they were valver Astra's? If you could pass these (on the straights) then Mi 205's shouldn't have been a problem....

stu_woac

as said b4 sam twice on rollers only we was looking for the drop the peak is 1bhp more than the flat line that stays all the way

again not really in to figures, just ask a few guys i've been on track with,

the astra comment the 205 handles tons better so go through corners better so they would be going faster already so harder to catch where as the astras would be accelarating to and he out did them not hard LOL

Edited by stu_woac

PumaRacing
Hi Gary - How goes it?

Sure they were valver Astra's? If you could pass these (on the straights) then Mi 205's shouldn't have been a problem....

If it's got a standard engine a 16v Astra is only going to have about 10 bhp more than the AX and weigh a lot more. Not too much trouble in a straight line. Tuned ones would be a different kettle of fish of course.

Kev-G
If it's got a standard engine a 16v Astra is only going to have about 10 bhp more than the AX and weigh a lot more. Not too much trouble in a straight line. Tuned ones would be a different kettle of fish of course.

Nearer 20 with 150 v's 133 (was 133 really the peak as the power still appears to be climbing?) + VX redtops do appear to go well (in a straight line), corners are somewhat different though....Peak power isn't everything as we know....

If a Mi 205 was running a 1.6 'box, then there's not much in it IMO (with a VX @ Hot Hatch days), with a Mi FD in a 1.6 'box it's a different story....

Point was more VX 16v v's Mi - Don't doubt that Gary's car goes well

PumaRacing
Nearer 20 with 150 v's 133 (was 133 really the peak as the power still appears to be climbing?) + VX redtops do appear to go well (in a straight line), corners are somewhat different though....Peak power isn't everything as we know....

If a Mi 205 was running a 1.6 'box, then there's not much in it IMO (with a VX @ Hot Hatch days), with a Mi FD in a 1.6 'box it's a different story....

Point was more VX 16v v's Mi - Don't doubt that Gary's car goes well

Astra's are 150 PS (148 bhp) and we were 138 bhp without the filters. Maybe a tad less with them fitted but most of the oil cleaned off.

stu_woac

also red tops dont have a real good mid range and looking at the results here the ax does

Its called ecomony

also wouldnt this ax be around 190bhp/tonne

Edited by stu_woac

TB_205GTI
I've done one head off the 1360, this one, and one off the 1293 last year for someone else and although they were done some time apart I don't actually recall any real difference. Valve sizes are certainly the same. Why do you think one is better than the other?

If you use the TU3MC, it has a different part number than a TU2J2 / TU5J2 head. I thought that the valves were different, but I just checked on infotec, and I can see that they aren't.

I haven't worked on the TU3MC, but I have worked on the TU3s, and it was not as good flowing as the TU2J2. I did the TU3S years back, so I can't remember the exactly difference, the only "documentation" I have are some pictures of it. If I remember corretly the inlets on the TU3S have a bulge in them, the TU2J2 doesn't have them.

rally ax

I think that a 205 might weigh a bit less than an astra.I found out when waiting in the pits that the 205 in question had a nice set of jenveys on it ! :P .

I've got some very nice on-board footage of us nailed to his bumper coming out of clarks corner heading down to the hairpin and the distance not changing. When we exited the hairpin his extra power and torque along with the fact that he was the only person in his car and we were 2 up ,he pulled away from us :) .Our car is in full rally trim,extinguishers,tank guards etc and it still has glass windows ! Its still good fun giant killing though B) ,

I said to the wife that we'll have to get some nice big "1360cc 8v" stickers for the rear and sides of the car ! :D .

There is still alot of things to tweek and sort out , like the gear stick hitting the vert. hyd hand brake that I've newly fitted when selecting 5th (very off putting!)and it wasn't good coming back from 5th to 4th either ,so we tended to hold it in 4th just off the limiter.

I'm still trying to sus out how to set-up and adjust the double adjustable rear shox (any experts ?) as well as having to get used to the 22mm torsion bars I've just fitted !

ach , its all good fun ! :D ,,, any advice gladly received

Garry

Rob Thomson

Dave,

If you don't accept emails or PMs, how do I go about getting on your waiting list...?

Seriously, I am very interested in having my TU2J2 rally(e) engine rebuilt and tuned later in the year, and having read this and other threads there's only one person I would want to do it.

Please let me know, Rob.

stu_woac
Before clicking on the link below please read this because it might save you some typing. Despite the paragraph below I still keep receiving emails asking for help with cars that aren't running right. I build engines - I don't service, tune or get involved in any way with vehicle electrics, fuel injection or any other aspect of general maintenance. I used to try and answer every email but time no longer allows that. Apologies in advance but emails asking for general car advice or tuning advice where it's clear you don't actually want to buy anything will not get answered so please post them to the car newsgroups. I also do not have time to enter into detailed correspondence with people wanting further discussion about technical issues of the type covered on my site. I am happy to receive brief suggestions for further articles but whether they get written or not depends on my spare time.

A fair proportion of emails are from people who say they have just read the tuning article relevant to their engine and then ask for prices and power outputs for head work or something else similar like cam choice that is already covered in detail in the article! One of the reasons for putting so much information in the articles was to save having to type it all out dozens of times a month for everyone who emails so if you fall at this first simple hurdle your email isn't going to get answered - sorry.

words from the man

his email address

pumaracing@aol.com

hope that helps

Edited by stu_woac

Rob Thomson

But as it says on his home page, his email is currently barred. I've tried!

rally ax

Well I was back on the Wallace performance rolling road on Sat with a surprise visitor ,

Dave from Puma Racing :) .He knew that I was booked in for sat afternoon and seeing

as it was a holiday w/end he came up for a nosey.

We started off with a base run with the original short rampipes with the filter on and

then with it off.We got the same results as before 1.5-2bhp more towards the top end with

a slight increase a 3000rpm.

changing to the longer ones helped pick up both power and torque across the range

-as much 6ft.lbs at 3000 with no filter and 4ft.lbs with it on ,but gaining an ave of between

2-3 ft.lbs right across the power band ! <_< The strange thing was that the filter had less

of an effect on the power whether it was on or off when the longer rampipes were used'

We carried out a good few runs to double check our findings with the different set-ups.

The main thing was to find the lost torque down at the 3000rpm area that I lost when

changing over from the Rallye inlet manifold and we did just that,you need bottom end

grunt when ralling.

I'm happy,gained a little here and a little there and I think Dave was happy getting to play

around on the rollers to :lol:

Cheers

Sandy

Good news, I bang on like a stuck record about the importance of decent inlet length and it's always nice to hear someone else has found the value of it!

rally ax

Aye Sandy ,I was thinking of you at the time when I looked at the graphs but never thought of you being a stuck record :excl: .

I knew that longer lenths would be better but was worried that the clearances

between the end of the trumpets and ITG airfilter . I've got about 20/25mm

but it didn't make any difference worth speaking about with the filter on or off.

I'd never run without a filter,causes far to much damage to the valve seats and bores.

I now wouldn't mind doing a back to back with some exhaust manifolds.

I'm using a 4-2-1 Janspeed but having seen the quality and finish of both the

welding and 2-1 collectors of the Raceland 4-2-1 ,its on my list to try along with

the GMC 4-1 just to see the power/torque curve differences to the one I'm using.

I love the bark from the Tb's on my TU 8v,its like a drug !

Never mind its going to be road legal this week ! :D

cheers

Edited by rally ax

Sign in to follow this