• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Leon C

M1144 Vs Ds2500

Leon C

What are in peoples opinion the best front pad for fast road and the occasional track day?

I've had the Mintex M1144 compound pad before (on a 106), and seemed pretty good. Are the Ferodo DS2500 as good?

smckeown

they are very similar in my experience. I prefer the mintex though. I would rate the mintex higher (although they squeel more) as i've never experienced fade with them, whereas i have with the Ferodos

Leon C

They squealed quite a lot on my 106 too, a bit annoying if your using it as a daily drive! - Small compromise I suppose!

How soon do the Ferodos start to fade on track?

hengti

not on your shortlist, but what about Greenstuffs?

quite like them - they last well and stand up to track abuse v well in my experience - plus they don't generate anywhere near as much dust as other pads - so easier to keep wheels cleaner

veloce200

1144 is reg 90 approved and as such by law cannot be more than 15% better than standard Friction rating is around .3u . DS2500 is not reg 90 and has much higher friction than a normal pad. Therefore it needs less braking effort. DS2500 provides constant .5 friction at any temperature - over 60% more friction than a typical reg 90 approved pad (they have even tested it up to 900 deg) way in excess of what the disc can take. However it brings more heat so it could cause fluid to boil and therefore brake fade.

1155 is a comparable formula but 1144 is not in the same league. I am not suggesting sean is wrong I am just saying that the fade was unlikely to be the pad. Being organic based though they need to have a strict bed in procedure followed to give their best.

1144 is equivalent to Ferodo premier / DS Performance

1155 is like Ds2500

Ds3000 is like no other pad but will kill your discs - strictly speaking race only.

Edited by veloce200

James_R

As above, I've been running DS2500's and never managed to get brake fade, they just seem to get stronger and stronger. My clio 16v uses the ferrodo premiers and they are good also, but just not the same.

Ferrodo DS2500 are cheap pagid blues imo, love them.

No offence to EBC greenstuffs, but I'd rather use OEM over them.

smckeown

i wouldnt say ds2500 are similar to 1155s at all. 1155s are not a road pad, they are pure track/race, whereas ds2500s are a known fast road/occasional track pad. I would have thought 1155s are similar to ds3000s

base-1

Ferodo DS3000s are the bollocks, amazing pads.

DS2500 are very very good, I may even go as far to say better than any Mintex I have driven (including 1177s) but that's slightly unfair on the Mintexs.

I currently use 1155s but the only reason is that DS2500s aren't made for my calipers B)

DS3000s kick the s*it out of 1155s!

Edited by base-1

16v205

Just my 2 pence worth,

I used to use greenstuff pads and over several trackdays and probably 5 sets of pads we never experienced brake fade. Only issue is they wear quite quickly but there cheap enough to replace.

Upgraded apparantly to mintex 1144 pads and have had brake fade in 20mins at oulton park and also at cadwell park. Just use them on the road now really, cant wait for them to wear out so I can replace them.

Ive heard ferrodo 2500 pads are good, but what are the 3000's like from cold for road use?

Rich

Dino

I've used 1144s and 1155s and I prefer the 55s and my car gets used on road more and the occasional track day/ring trip. Even from cold the 55s seem to work well. The initial first time you put your foot on the pedal isnt great but from then on they are fine.

They squeal like feck and creat loads more dust than a std pad but who cares - they have saved my life on more than one occasion.

B)

Incidently I've managed to set fire to a set of 1144s before. Funny because the first set I used were fantastic but the second seemed, well, second rate in fact! Consistency was worrying as they were fading after limited use on track which wasnt very confidence inspiring.

Edited by Dino

veloce200
Consistency was worrying as they were fading after limited use on track which wasnt very confidence inspiring.

this is the thing - it is so important to bed them in right. When you buy a pad they are only part baked. If you go hammer and tongs quickly the resins overheat at the surface level and the pads never give best performance. conversely too gentle and then go mental and you get the same problems. I had a set of Ferodo Premier do 2 years of sprints and 2 test days and 8000 hard road miles they only finally faded after the last test day.

Leon C

Are the DS3000s safe for daily road use and from cold like Rich said?

...Otherwise Looks like I'll be giving the 2500s a whirl then!

saveloy

A trick with the Mintex pads (especially the 1144) is to use them until they wear a couple of millimetres. Then,use the pads as templates and cut some stainless steel plates from 1.5mm sheet.

Fit those and your noise problems are gone forever.

veloce200
Are the DS3000s safe for daily road use and from cold like Rich said?

...Otherwise Looks like I'll be giving the 2500s a whirl then!

not really- they are a competition only pad and don't work great from cold. that said some do use them on the road. it's overkill though really - they are noisy and will kill your discs. i run ds2500 front and 4003 rear and the brakes are fantastic. 4003 has a little less bite than 2500 and it makes the car better balanced under braking.

jonD6B

I run DS2500 pads all round on drilled and grooved discs and the car stops well, although this set up is based on track only use. I was under the impression that the DS3000 pads were a little to harsh and encouraged lock up on non ABS cars to easily. It took me a while and alot of advice to choose my brakes and the general consensus was that the DS2500 pads were a good all round fast road and track pad.

smckeown

in my experience mintex 1155s are the best dedicated track pads for light to medium weight cars. I understand pagid blue's are better and last a lot longer, but are twice the price.

base-1

I've found 3000s fine for road use even from cold, but as said on the road you won't see much gain if any, and your discs will die a death in comparison to 2500s. I haven't driven them in sliding calipers though thinking about it...

Dino's very not wrong, 55s are awful if you aren't braking with much effort, terrible squealers! Do work well though

Sean have you had a set of 3000s? Sounds like you should give them a whirl :blink:

Duroc
Ive heard ferrodo 2500 pads are good, but what are the 3000's like from cold for road use?

not really- they are a competition only pad and don't work great from cold

I run them on my 205, front and rear, and they bite hard from cold and don't fade. The price to pay is quickly worn discs. But if you're running standard discs then it's not going to be a financial hardship, considering the performance they give you.

I think it's a good upgrade if you're running standard 1.9 brakes.

C_W

My first set of DS3000s were excellent, monster bite when hot (and very good from cold), the only negative was the brake dust which could be difficult to remove. However my second set haven't been as good for some reason, whether it was bedding in or not I'm not sure but I got horrific steering wheel judder at Cadwell last year then again at oulton which turned out to be pad deposits sticking to the disc. I sanded the discs down by hand to remove the visible deposits and they were smooth again.

I've just got back from the Ring and some DS2500s did the same thing on my M Coupe, they didn't fade as such but became unusable due to the violent wheel shaking. I bedded them in as per instructions and they felt great on the road but went off after a few very high speed (140mph+) stops. I'm going to look at some Pagids next time around, although I got the Ferodos cheap by chance I think the Pagids are worth a look (another M Coupe was running Pagids on standard discs and had no problems).

huxley309

Pagid fast road are pretty much the same as mintex 1144 :)

Guest slindborg

ive picked up a set of 1155's for my track nova and the pads absollutely stink in the pack, so in my eyes thats a sign of good pads. When i was assisting with a single seater the brake pads would stink and it stopped a treat lol

veloce200
My first set of DS3000s were excellent, monster bite when hot (and very good from cold), the only negative was the brake dust which could be difficult to remove. However my second set haven't been as good for some reason, whether it was bedding in or not I'm not sure but I got horrific steering wheel judder at Cadwell last year then again at oulton which turned out to be pad deposits sticking to the disc. I sanded the discs down by hand to remove the visible deposits and they were smooth again.

I've just got back from the Ring and some DS2500s did the same thing on my M Coupe, they didn't fade as such but became unusable due to the violent wheel shaking. I bedded them in as per instructions and they felt great on the road but went off after a few very high speed (140mph+) stops. I'm going to look at some Pagids next time around, although I got the Ferodos cheap by chance I think the Pagids are worth a look (another M Coupe was running Pagids on standard discs and had no problems).

Pagid Ceramics are veyr popular on the M-Series car- I supply a few to guys in the Kumho championship. They are a ceramic rather than organic pad and I've heard good things about them - very pricey but I think better on heaver cars. On the M-Series cars the big problem is the lack of a fixed caliper with large weight and huge horsepower !

feb

see my other post about shattered M1144's. could be a faulty batch (?)

will try something else this time.

feb
I've found 3000s fine for road use even from cold, but as said on the road you won't see much gain if any, and your discs will die a death in comparison to 2500s. I haven't driven them in sliding calipers though thinking about it...

Dino's very not wrong, 55s are awful if you aren't braking with much effort, terrible squealers! Do work well though

Sean have you had a set of 3000s? Sounds like you should give them a whirl :D

How long did your discs last when using DS3000?

I just had a set fitted and although they are still bedding in they feel great.

Just wanted to have an idea when to expect to replace the discs :)

jonD6B
How long did your discs last when using DS3000?

I just had a set fitted and although they are still bedding in they feel great.

Just wanted to have an idea when to expect to replace the discs :D

Tomorrow? :D

Sign in to follow this