• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest BrainFluid

>>>>>0.15mm<<<<<

Guest BrainFluid

Thats right,

All that stands between the successful application of a new head gasket is 0.15mm.

Every thing is set up for the operation the head is skimmed and cleaned, the block face is shiny and so are the bores. New gaskets, new head bolts and with a torque wrench in hand I'm ready to face the sunny day and the job at hand.

Only one thing worries me...

The head was skimmed to its refinishing maximum leaving a recess of 0.2 and 0.6 for the inlet and outlet valves to which haynes points out that the minimum they should be are 0.5 and 0.9

The thickest gasket that I could get was 1.8mm thick. The old one was 1.65 so that leaves me in an awkward position.

0.15mm!

Bit bloody close if you ask me.

Nate.

Guest BrainFluid

Well I put the head back on yesterday but didnt get a chance to attach all the various acoutrements untill today. Everythings gone fine I found using old head bolts with the heads cut off as guides very usefull...

To be honest I feel pretty chuffed with what I've done B) the only shame is that I lost the little oil strainer that sits in the turbo pipe and what with it being easter it looks like I'm not going to be able to find one untill blooming tuesday! I darent start her up untill then as I want to use the oil thats already in the sump to start her on before I potentialy waste money on new oil but I expect that its a little contaminated with stuff so quess that I'll have to wait!

HA! I didnt even have anything left over to look at and wonder where did that go then B)

Can I just check how much a timing belt should turn when you twist it? cant remember if 45% or 90% is the max?

Thanks,

Nate.

mikeyde

haha brilliant! i remember my first head gasket jobbie!

IIRC its half a turn of slack but hell i would double check somewhere!

Guest BrainFluid

MuHaHaHaHaHaharrrrWhahahahahahahahahahhahahahaha-heheh-heh-har har diddly whoop har har!!!!

It works! It sodding works!!! :o

Brilliant. I'm one happy man I'll tell you. Did'nt even take two shakes of a lambs tail too start what with it all fuel primed and every thing.

Absolutly Bloody Brilliant.

The only thing that went wrong is that I must have screwed up with the cam oil seal because its leaking but hey I'm a dab hand at taking a rocker cover / cam shaft out now :D

Just want to say thankyou to the site and all who helped me do it,

Long live backyard mechanics!

Nate.

jack biscuit

top work fella, good on yer mate.

SUCCESS!!! :o

James_R

[A-Team Hanabal] I always love it when a good plan comes together [/A-Team Hanabal]

Good work, hope all goes well now.

Sign in to follow this