• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
bren_1.3

Gti And Xs Gear Linkages

bren_1.3

this is a tricky one!

right with xs ma gearbox sitting proudly in the 205 with gti running gear, ive come across a few problems.

first off i know that the gti gear linkage bracket fouls the TU engines exhaust downpipe.

secondly i want if i can to fit my rose jointed main gear linkages, which are from a gti.

my questions are.........

1. is there any difference in the main rods themselves between gti and xs/rallye specification? (from gear selector to subframe L bracket)

2. obviously im going to have to move the linkage bracket on the subframe to where the xs/ralle bracket is. i think thats on the right hand side of the subframe. (passenger side) what do people use as short shifts? ive got a gti L shaped cut n shut jobbie, will this work?

3. did the ma gearboxes ever have a lift up reverse like the gti? or am i going to have to find the 'push down' type rods, and modify those?

4. more specifically what type of reverse mechanism was fitted to the euro rally ma gearboxes?? as i have one of these, but am unsire how it works in terms of its reverse mechanism!

cheers!

pugrallye

hmm bit confusing, but think i get what your on about lol

okay you have to weld MA spec L lever onto gti subframe and use MA type of rods right through from lever to box, MA's have a push down reverse, below fifth, always have done I believe

Cant use a gti shortened L lever as the ball joint on the rods are a different diameter

Edited by pugrallye

Sam

I'm doing this another way round, I have a base model, fitted a GTI subframe (and moved the post) but now I'm fitting a BE4R box to it so need to sort gear rods etc.

The GTI gear lever is different to a base model one.

bren_1.3

just re-read that and spelling is atrocious!

right so im going to have to get hold of base model gear linkages!

scrap yard here we come!

Guest smokinslim

I can't say for certain that this applies to all MA boxes but to select reverse on mine you just pull the lever back into gear, don't have to pull up or push down.

The one time i came across a short shift for a 1.4TU was on Ebay a year or so back, taken off a rally car. The guy was also selling a set of rose jointed (I think) rods. Can't remember if he said they were custom made parts or not, but his asking prices were a fair bit more than new gti ones are so i left them. My biting point is so high on the pedal that i don't need one anyway so wasn't that fussed.

Are the L levers the same shape and size for GTIs an TUs? If so could you take the gti rod ends and put them on the tu rods, or swap the ball ends between levers? Hopefully that makes sense

macaroni

My MA gearbox just slides into reverse, no pushing or lifting needed.

The gti and xs L-levers are different. The xs one drops drop to avoid the flange at the end of the downpipe. A gti one can be fitted, but the gear rod to the lever is tight against the flange and makes changing gear very difficult.

Griffiths engineering claim to have an 205 MA gearbox quickshift, so I have ordered one. It remains to be seen whether it is right or not.

stu_woac

griffs short shift works very very well I love how short my throw is in the track car compare to my missus roland garros

macaroni

Is this the quickshift that bolts onto the gearbox end of the L shaped lever arm?

I have received mine in the post, hoping to fit it over the weekend.

Guest smokinslim
Is this the quickshift that bolts onto the gearbox end of the L shaped lever arm?

I have received mine in the post, hoping to fit it over the weekend.

Was it the same price as the ones they have listed on the website?

macaroni

Yes, I ordered one for a BE box, but mailed them to say it was for an MA box.

Not sure what the difference is though.

stu_woac

griff is now only selling the bolt on type as it work for all the pug range and is well proven

christopher
more specifically what type of reverse mechanism was fitted to the euro rally ma gearboxes??

The euro rallye gearbox is basically the same as the XS one. Except it has a special strengthend Diff..

macaroni

Just fitted mine and it is well cool.

I didn't have it on max adjustment, ie min movement, as the gearstick moved about 1 inch from 1st to 2nd and that felt a bit odd!

What do people feel about the wear and tear this thing puts on the gearbox internals ie synchros?

bren_1.3
The euro rallye gearbox is basically the same as the XS one. Except it has a special strengthend Diff..

i see so it could be a push down or a simple below 5th jobbie.

ooo btw chris are you still interested in those mahle forged pistons? give me a PM if you are.

stu_woac
Just fitted mine and it is well cool.

I didn't have it on max adjustment, ie min movement, as the gearstick moved about 1 inch from 1st to 2nd and that felt a bit odd!

What do people feel about the wear and tear this thing puts on the gearbox internals ie synchros?

now your throw is down there is less area for error meaning you shouldnt damage the snycro as much as you shoudnt get the gears wrong

mine is setup for less than a inch from first to secound

it was reverse that got me B)

Guest Tidybri

hi all

i am a new member and have just recently got my first 205. the gears seem to be very sloppy i am told this is normal but can be easily fixed.

wot is the best way for me to do this? it is a 87 d. reg 1.6gti if that makes a differance which im sure it does!!

Any help would be apreciated <_<

macaroni

First things first - get all the standard linkages checked and working properly. Only then should you think about shortening the shift, which you can do by purchasing a quickshift from somewhere like Griffiths Engineering. Plenty of info on this site about that.

Guest Nuno205Rallye

The Euro Rallye has got a normal reverse, just behind 5th, no push down or pull up.

MA gearboxes B):D

Sign in to follow this