• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mbayley77

Gti 6 Engine 1st Running

mbayley77

I managed to get my new 306 gti6 engine back home today after a 400 mile trip but hey it is so worth it.

fully rebuilt engine which has never been run in.

Looking at the engine is like looking at something I have always wanted. An engine which is totally clean and no cr@p at all anywhere :) wonder how long it will be like that?

Looking in the inlet ports you can see the lovely shiny new valve guides which look great.

Here is my problem though. As seen as the engine has never been started and is totally dry inside from any signs of oil obviously I dont want to put it in the car and just turn the key! What is the process of starting up a totally new engine? I guess i am to put oil on anything I can before I put it in the car and run it.

Tomoorow is gonna be spent stripping down the old MI and getting it ready for taking out.

Then the next couple of weeks I am gonna do some serious tidying up of the wiring and really giving everything a good clean. Even gonna paint the whole engine bay white for the clean look. Do some moving of things such as the coil pack into the wing on the passenger side.

Of course the big hammer is gonna have to come out and the bulkhead is gonna take a bit of a pounding to get the brilliant sculture that is the exhaist manifold :)

Cant wait to hear her running as the 306 guys reckon the engine gets a bit loud without a CAT on it. Should be interesting with a sports exhaust then without a CAT and running twin Webers :D

Final question. What sort of horse power should be seen from this engine running in weber 45's without a cat system?

ill try and get some pics done and try and follow the build as it goes.

ablister

it should be ok just to run it, whoever has built it will have oiled up the bearings anyway so they have oil on them before it gets started.

As for power from fitting carbs, the sound of a 16v on twin carbs will more than make up for minimal power gains :)

Banjo

Just turn the engine over with the injectors and coil unplugged, should soon have plenty of oil pressure.

Ben

mbayley77

The engine was built over a year ago and everything l;ooks really quite void of oil.

pug_ham

Fill sump with oil (not literally) & either do like Ben says or if you don't want to do that get a socket on the crank pulley & turn it by hand for a few minutes. (starter method is better)

Graham.

littlemike
Fill sump with oil (not literally) & either do like Ben says or if you don't want to do that get a socket on the crank pulley & turn it by hand for a few minutes. (starter method is better)

Graham.

Crank it over with the spark plugs removed otherwise you'll have compression acting on the crank before there's any oil around the bearings to protect it.

mbayley77

Wanted to do a quick update on getting my 306 engine into the 205 this weekend. i was well surprised with quite how well and really how easy it was to get into the car. It was tight but with slow careful movements it went in without any problems at all.

i have opted to keep my twin 45's on the engine for now with the aim in the future to get a nice big lairy cam to open up the breathing a bit.

I have wrapped the exhaust to try and keep under bonnet temps down.

And my money saving design of using a dizzy from the exhaust cam. I couldnt get any info even though i know it has been done before. I did find somewhere that shall remain unamed but thought £150 notes was way to expensive for something that i thought (and now know) could be done with a bit of thinking and a lot less cash. My distributor drive uses the drive from the vacuum pump which has been machined to slightly different dimensions and a spacer of aluminium. The dizzy then bolts to this. Works a treat.

Cant wait to fire her up properly. Me and my dad turned her over tonight but with no downpipe on it the noise and flames from the downpipe were a bit much for the neighbours :blush:

dizzy drive

Exhaust Wrap

tight?

tighter?

ive got my doubts!

how?

holding your own ;)

jim205GTI

MMM thats going to sound sweet!! :ph34r:

cracking work

mbayley77

Tonight I started it for the first time. Alligned the dizzy roughly from putting number 1 cylinder to tdc. Held it all in place. Turned the key and one almighty load of pop BANG. Got the firing cycle 180 degrees out and wasnt on the compression cycle oops.

Turned dizzy 180 and fired her again. She has a bad battery and it certainly told on the starter struggling to turn the engine. but thenn after a few blips of the throttle she fired right on up. It sounded so sweet.

I have a small 10mb video if anyone can host it for me I would love to show people. Although runs ok it obviously is just where the dizzy landed when i first set it up and hence needs a good tune up before taking her out.

So anyone to host then for me please?

M@tt

sign up at www.photobucket.com account and you get 1gb of space for free and you can host pics and vids and it will autoatically give you the links you need to put in your posts

hth

Eryl1.9Gti

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM i want one.

jim205GTI

MMM sounds better then i thought it would be :( i want carbs :(

mbayley77

Today I have cursed and sworn at why the diff has to be so close to the subfram but eventually I did manage to replace the standard diff with my replacement Tran-x LSD. All thats needed now are replacement driveshaft seals. Then the 309 wishbone set up can be completed.

Piccy

rjw205

Good work man, I'm glad to see all your hard work has paid off.. sounds awesome

Rich

mbayley77

Tonights progress. The 309 wishbones are now on as they should be with the passenger side driveshaft in and all fine.

Went to put the drivers side long drive shaft in and clunk>>>???

After much investigating and removing the speedo drive i realised that the shaft of the drive shaft was too big to go into the diff. It seems by vernier that the shaft is about 0.6mm over size and that just stops it going into the diff.

Is this normal on this diff?

If nothing else is suggested I am gonna take the shaft to a local engineering firm and have it ground down to the same size as the splines.

Anyone see any problems with this? The oil seal will still seat on its boss so no touble there.

Any help much appreciated.

Wurzel

Nice looking set up.

I reckon you might want to change the air filters on your carbs though before getting it all properly tuned up. I'm sure you will be able to get more bhp/torque from using a better designed filter. No experience here, just remember reading some article in the 'old style' CCC magazine many years ago.

Carbs is something I'd like to have a go with in the future.

mbayley77

I have been advised to get better filters your right. Think i am gonna go for a single large piper style foam filter. So if anyone can get these cheap (really cheap) or has a second hand one then give me a email.

I have never heard throttle bodies before but the sound with the carbs is awsome under full throttle. Makes me want to drive her again so badly.

I have been advised to get better filters your right. Think i am gonna go for a single large piper style foam filter. So if anyone can get these cheap (really cheap) or has a second hand one then give me a email.

I have never heard throttle bodies before but the sound with the carbs is awsome under full throttle. Makes me want to drive her again so badly.

mbayley77

Tonights adventures.

Changed the cambelt, tensioners and the water pump. All went well and I have to say that access to these parts in a 205 is awsome.

Fired her up and hey presto - it still bloody whistle / screams. Bloody thing. I am coming arounf to thinking that the left hand carb is actually leaking air and the noise i am hearing is a whistling style noise. Also when i operate the choke on the left carb nothing changes but when the right hand carb choke is opened the engine almost dies. so i am thinking that the bloody left carb is playing up now. ahhhhh

Will this thing ever run right>?

Edp

Havent noticed this thread, man those carbs sound superb! did you have to modify that exhaust manifold at all to fit??

Keep up the good work!!

Sam

Have you had it all setup yet? That'll be the killer, finding somewhere skilled with carbs. Took me ages and it never seemed to be "right".

Tb's sound similar, but there is a difference. tbs.

mbayley77

Cheers for the support in this thread :rolleyes: As far as the manifold was concerned I didnt have it modified, but I did do some reshaping on the bulkhead. not a lot, just the bulkhead to floorpan seam. Seems to be fine.

Awsome sound in that vid. I would love TB's but havnt got the money right now. Where you too in the south?

Took mine out for the first time today. Absolutely brilliant. Loved the sound of the carbs on the new engine. Seems to run a little rough but am gonna book her in hopefully at the end of this week or beginning of next week for tuning. Then got haynes track booked up for the 10th june so gotta put some miles on her and get her run in.

Oh and driving it today with the LSD fitted was awsome. Everybody needs one of these.

Sam

I'm in Hampshire, quite a trek from Devon...

Sign in to follow this