• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hengti

Couple Of Quick Questions

hengti

failed the mot (not entirely unexpected) :

rear nearside brake performance below std

I've been advised that it's likely the caliper piston sticking. Not a problem to replace, but I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to fix it rather than spend £60 on a new caliper - ?

can you strip these down, clean, and fit new seals?

other question's about the electric windows

the driver's window is fine, but the passenger one has stopped working all together. Peculiarly, both switches (ie. driver side and passenger side) for the passenger window have stopped working at the same time. The switch for the driver's window (which works) doesn't work on the pass window.

What could be causing this? wiring fault?

the fuse is fine

are there seperate relays for left and right windows?

thanks

Jonmurgie

Not sure about the caliper (though I guess it could be refurbished) but on the window it sounds like either the wire has come loose on the motor or the motor is knackered... get the door card off and take a look :D

Ryan

You can strip the rear calipers down and replace the seals etc. A rebuild kit is about £30 afaik.

The wiring from the passenger window goes through the passenger side switch, then to the drivers switch for the passenger window, then finally to the drivers switch for the drivers window. So if you trace the connections you should be able to find out where the problem is.

hengti

'windows' ...

i've taken the door card off and think i've located the motor inside the door panel

there is a slight whir as i press the switch, but no window movement - presume the motor has had enough - ?

next question is - how do i get the thing off? there's not much room to figure out how it's attached; does the motor come off seperately, or do i have to take the whole mechanism out?

i know which answer i prefer - but is it the right one!!

thanks

pug309twin40s

you have to remove the motor with the mechanisum.

Rom

Id certainly strip the brakes down. CLean it up, wind the piston in and out to make sure its not siezed or sticky. Give it another go. If ur friendly, they may well run it on the brake roller for u without a retest.

Our place does.

madmat

Mine failed the mot a few years back on low(or no,cant remember)output from rear caliper,turned out to be the inline valve/restricter/thing to be at fault.Worth considering too.

Sorry for being a bit vague,matt.

hd_andy
Mine failed the mot a few years back on low(or no,cant remember)output from rear caliper,turned out to be the inline valve/restricter/thing to be at fault.Worth considering too.

Sorry for being a bit vague,matt.

Similarly mine failed on N/S Rear Brake effort. I havnt fixed it yet, I gave up and left it on the drive for three months, anyway the point is that the previous year I had new calipers, discs, pads stainless flexible hoses and new copper pipes. So the only thing it can be is the compensator.

hengti

this talk of compensator vs. caliper is interesting

i renewed the calipers on mine about two years ago too

i could just stick a new compensator on - but they're almost as expensive new as calipers! plus i'd have to pay for a second re-test if it didn't fix it :blush:

does anyone know of any way of testing either component to get a definitive diagnosis?

pug309twin40s
this talk of compensator vs. caliper is interesting

i renewed the calipers on mine about two years ago too

i could just stick a new compensator on - but they're almost as expensive new as calipers! plus i'd have to pay for a second re-test if it didn't fix it :blush:

does anyone know of any way of testing either component to get a definitive diagnosis?

proberbly easiest is to remove the rear caliper then see how easy the piston moves, if it moves easily and easy to wind in and out then caliper should be fine.

you can also get someone else to press the brake pedal while you try and turn the wheel(with it jacked up) and see how easy to turn the wheel.

also how much material is left on the pads? as these can affect the brake working when they get low

Sign in to follow this