• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Adnic69

Calling Paintguy

Adnic69

I have put my first coat of primer on the 205 and all went on fine apart from the part in the picture. It is where the black plastic door trim comes. The reaction is happening at the bottom of the trim. I have no idea what is causing it. I sanded it down again and sprayed again but the same happend.

Any ideas?

Jonmurgie

Is there supposed to be a picture in this thread?

Jonmurgie

Oh dear, you have to be logged in (fortunately I am registered on SELOC) want me to host the pic for you quickly?

Adnic69
Oh dear, you have to be logged in (fortunately I am registered on SELOC) want me to host the pic for you quickly?

There a a few pics on there but you could show all the 205 rebuild ones. That would be great.

You got an elise too?

Jonmurgie
Martin@PRD

I had the same problem; turned out to be the yellow Halfords filler primer I used was sensitive to solvent attack from the grey primer. (Crows feet)

Best thing you can do is going out and purchase U-POL isolator, rub down the areas again and apply U-Pol in light coats. This will block out solvent attack all together

Adnic69

Great thanks.

Will i get this in Halfords?

jamesc

IMG_1799.jpg

Snap!

Edited by jamesc

Martin@PRD

I had a look in our Halfords around here, though unfortunately they didn't

Paintguy

Somebody called? :unsure:

Maybe it's just my eyes, but I can't see what you're refering to very clearly in those pics. As Martin says, it'll be the solvents in the primers attacking something underneath. If it's in a straight line underneath where the door moulding/trim was, then I'd say it's highly likely that the bottom of the door has been painted before, and your primer is getting underneath the edge of paint where it was masked up to the trim.

Text book method is strip down to bare metal and start from scratch.

An isolator over it (like U-Pol Barcoat) is another method, that should do the trick. I've tried it myself to good effect in the past, but I don't like doing it because really you're just covering up the problem, rather than curing it. It may well be the best way forward for you though, just don't sand through the Barcoat anywhere, or you'll have the same problem again!

Finally, you can cheat! :wacko:

Again, not exactly 'text book', but it's helped me out of a few scrapes: Try applying your primer more dryly over that area. It's easier to do with a spray gun, as you can feather back the paint output, but still achievable with a rattlecan.

Get the area nice and warm, and try and have some warm air circulating (heat gun, hairdryer), then spray from a bit further away using light coats. You're trying to get most of the sovlents to evaporate before the primer hits the surface. That way they're much less likely to react with what's underneath. You don't want it too dry and powdery, or it'll not adhere properly, and it might take a few attempts; spray a light coat, let it dry, sand out any minor reaction, than apply some more.

After a few coats, you should have enough build on there to be able to start putting thicker coats on, but still don't go too heavy with it, and dry it of with some warm air as quick as you can.

Adnic69

Thanks for the reply.

Can i just use fine surface filler and fill over the reacting area?

Paintguy

Yes, if it's deep enough to need it.

Sign in to follow this