• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
toonz

Engine Storage?

toonz

Hi guys,

I've just bought an engine and need to store it for about 4-5 months before fitting it into the 205.

What is the best process for avoiding condensation/sweating and the dreaded orange stuff?

My uncle advised spraying the entire thing with wd40 and bunging up every hole with rags soaked

in it, then wrap the engine up surrounded with sachets of silica gel to absorb mositure... my main concern is

how to protect the water ways?

Any advice/experiences would be greatly appreciated ;)

Cheers guys.

Kris

trickywoo

The wd40 idea sounds good. As for the waterways you could try filling it with coolant. Just have the bottom hose clamped and fill it from the top.

I think the best thing would be to keep it somewhere dry with a good circulation of air (not in the corner of your average garage).

I don't think rust would be a major problem over 4-5 months. Maybe change coolant and oil a few hundred miles after you refit it.

M3Evo

My engine sat in the car for about 9 months and after that, shining a torch into an open inlet, the bores were still shiny and rust free.

I'd have thought that most things that can rust will be coated in oil anyway, but perhaps spray some WD40 into each cylinder?

huxley309

Had mine sitting in the shed all locked up and wrapped up in cling film with all the necessary holes bunged up

Had a look in the bores the other day and still 100% perfect and that must have been sat there for months due to having my 309 written off

Rob_the_Sparky

Personally I'd steer clear of plastic sheeting, this can make it sweat. I'd bung a tablespoon or so of oil down the bores and cover the intake and exhaust ports. Then put is somewhere dry, preferably warm as well. If it is kept somewhere unheated then you can't avoid getting condensation on the engine. Whatever way dry is the key thing, this is best managed with heat or good ventilation.

Rob

rjw205

Ive a 'penny a day' heater in my garage.. to keep my engines, toolbox, tools, and bikes dry. Worth the investment.

Rich

Rob_the_Sparky
Ive a 'penny a day' heater in my garage.. to keep my engines, toolbox, tools, and bikes dry. Worth the investment.

Rich

Well 1kWhr is about 6p so that makes it a 7W heater if left on all day! I rather doubt it is actually a penny a day as 7W is bugger all.

A small light bulb (40W or so) and a timer switch is probably the easiest way to provide a bit of heat though, should be enough to stop condensation if put in the right place.

Rob

easypug

I keoep mine in my toroorm in peices.. keep it on the wotnd loaw thouethgh cos my odls donet know btuout it.. :(

pacey205

Easypug- you been at the beers fella :lol:

Michael

easypug
Easypug- you been at the beers fella :lol:

Michael

;) Yep sure have, made a day of it yesterday.

Translation:

I keep mine in my room in pieces, keep on the down low though as the olds don't know about it.. :D

Sign in to follow this