• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest ratty

4 Star

Guest ratty

Iv got an e reg 1.9 205 gti can i run it on 4 star?for higher octain

Miles

If you can buy 4 star then yes you can as thats what they used to run on, If not use Shell optimax or Tesco's 99 Octain

Ryan

The engine was originally designed to run on 97/98 RON fuel. There isn't advantage to buying leaded over super unleaded/optimax as it doesn't need the lead only the higher octane.

hengti

as said - super's the only choice available these days

the 1.9s seem to run best on Ultimate-Optimax-Tesco99 (in that order)

Ultimate can be difficult to find though, and is the most expensive of the lot

I'd go with Optimax

Circuit Motors up at Castle Coombe are one of the few national venders who still keep four star (presumably mainly in the interest historic racers etc) - stuck some in a couple of years ago - just to remind myself what it was like

no different to SUL

and it cost 105p a litre

damn <_<

Carl Chambers

The 1.9 should not be run on normal unleaded as there not enough octain in it! The engine does not need the lead so super unleaded is the best to run it on. They will run on normal unleaded but you may get pinking (rattling) under load and I have seen some burn the valves out

Rob_the_Sparky

Well I'm trying Tesco's at the moment (normally use Optimax) and it runs fine but on my first tank I dropped about 10% fuel economy. I'm half way through the second tank at the moment so this is still TBC...

Rob

Jonmurgie

I've always run Optimax in my 205's as it's only about £2.50 or so more expensive per tank...

Makes me laugh looking back at when 4* was about to be pulled as everyone was telling us that our 4* engines would basically stop working... idiots!

Rob_the_Sparky

Our engines are fine but many engines are not. They are not idiots, its just engines with ali heads already have hardened valve inserts so are OK.

Rob

Jonmurgie

Oh dear, guess I've been put in my place then <_<

pug_ham

Mine runs fine on Sainsburys 97ron SUL & its about 5p a litre cheaper than optimax etc.

Graham.

JayCC

I've noticed the BP near me is selling 4 Star (Lead Free) petrol at 94.9p per litre and 99.9p per litre for Ultimate. Anyone used this 4 Star Lead free?

huxley309

Wouldn't bother with lrp as the additive can mess things about just sul is plenty good enough

Ive found my old mi loved esso supreme but saunsburys sul or bp ultimate is good,didnt love optimax...ran fast but sounded rougher maybe down to the cleaning agents used on that old an engine

Guest pugpowa

i always ran optimax with lead substitute in my old 1.9(as this is what i was told to do) and it still burned out the valves at 107k, was i just unlucky? the mi16 always gets optimax as there is a shell near me, if i cant get it i'll run normal unleaded till i can get some.not sure if it makes a difference performance wise, just the peace of mind to me that i'm puttin in it what i'm sposed to!

Rob_the_Sparky
i always ran optimax with lead substitute in my old 1.9(as this is what i was told to do) and it still burned out the valves at 107k, was i just unlucky? the mi16 always gets optimax as there is a shell near me, if i cant get it i'll run normal unleaded till i can get some.not sure if it makes a difference performance wise, just the peace of mind to me that i'm puttin in it what i'm sposed to!

Whoever told you to use the additive was wrong (as proven by the fact that it still burnt valves!). The ali head has hardened valve seats as standard.

You can't conpare fuels without tuning your engine to suit each one. That is unless you have a much more modern ECU with a knock sensor that adjusts the ignition timing on the fly. 1.9 8v should not be run on unleaded, to get them to run on this without pinking the igniion has to be retarded significantly and this looses you power (and they feel "flat").

Rob

fulani

I've run my 158,000 mile 1.9 8v motor on normal unleaded for ages. It does pull better and respond faster with Tesco 99 RON, but standard 95 RON unleaded seems fine.

Richie-Van-GTi

I run mine on normal unleaded and have done since I bought it. Never had any probs. The ignition is very very slightly retarded as it did pink a touch at full pelt. still pul,l very well and doesnt feel flat at all.

Last Legend

I remeber reading somewhere that LRP was just super with a lead replacement additive,I guess the problem is every petrol companys additive might be different and you run the risk of mixing an incompatible 'cocktail' if you mix different LRPs additives.

Still LRP is normaly cheaper than super,so my 1990 1.9 gets the occasional tankful of LRP.

Sign in to follow this