• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Danxs

1.9 8v, More Power....?

Danxs

i would like to make my 309 a touch quicker, i think the head gasket has gone on it, so i will be needing to take it apart.

at the moment, its slow! what can i do thats efective, i am not on a mega tight budget, but cant afford throttle bodies or mappable managment at this stage.

i have heard mixed opinions on cam's etc, anyone have any advice?

i dont want to mi it either, for insurance purposes.

thanks alot.

SamGTi

I know it's annoying but doing a search will tell you what you want to know. This subject is covered weekly!

Danxs

i did try a search, didn;t find much though, i'll have another look, thanks!

Rob_the_Sparky

That is because there isn't much more power to be had from an 8v. All the easy tuning options were done well by Peugeot I'm afraid. The only sensible way to more power is fit a 16v, if you try it with an 8v then the costs soon ramp up (I should know, having tried to get a little more power...)

Rob

Jonmurgie

Well if you HAVE to stick with 8v then you need to look at going Throttle Bodies/Carbs, Big valve Head and a stonking Cam.. then throw some decent engine management in the mix and your looking at the best part of £2500+

What budget do you have to spend here?

Danxs

£1k max, i am not sure if it is running right at the moment, a friend has driven it, who has had a few 1,9 205's, and said it dosn't feel like a 1.9 should, i will do the gasket and see, its not worth a cam then, from what i can make out?

Jonmurgie

Why are you 'doing the gasket'? Just because it's not running quite right? That's jumping the gun a little I'd say!

What mileage has the engine done and when was it last serviced? If it's not feeling right then it probably needs all the ignition parts replaced (leads/plugs/dizzy cap & arm etc.) as they can account for poor running.

Also, I think you'd be surprised at how much it (doesn't) cost to declare an Mi16 engine in your 205 over a modded 8v engine!

Danxs

its leaking water everywhere, seems to be from the head gasket, going to double check tonight, see if its not a pipe there somewhere. . maybe i will have to consider an mi then....! thanks for the advice though <_<

Rob_the_Sparky

Dead head gaskets very rarely leak water outside the engine. They blow between the water and a piston when they go so start looking closely before taking the head off, it not a likely reason for hte leak (although not impossible).

Rob

P.S. From what I can tell of my experience, if you are going to mod an engine then the insurance don't care that much if it is a mild or large mod, it is still an engine mod and that will limit your choice of insurer.

dodsworth_gti

you probably bust a pipe somewhere,just because it is comeing from that area,doesnt mean it is,water runs along things dont forget,mine had a pin hole in a pipe which was just under a jubilie clip that lashes out loads water!!!so check well!!!

if you want power and you only have a k to spend,i would do a full service to start,including plugs and leads and poss a new dizzy cap,then slap some bike carbs on it,or cam with a chip!!

Danxs

ok, thanks, is a 285 too big, with a chip, or not? will try and get to the bottom of the leak tonight.

dodsworth_gti

mines got a 285 in it and it does its job!!!not sure about chip e.c.t,but probs would be better,but you would get away with just getting a re-map!

Danxs

did you get yours remapped when you had it cammed, how much did it cost?

huxley309

You cant map the 8v ecu except for the motronic 3.1 and then it means a trip to wayne at chipwizards

He had his mapped because he has a mappable ecu with throttlebodies that can handle any changes much better

A mappable ecu would be about £600 plus loom/mapping etc

Edited by huxley309

Rob_the_Sparky

plus rolling road costs

Banjo

Water is most likely coming from the inlet manifold gasket if its on the front.

Ben

dodsworth_gti

i didnt have mine mapped at all,i did all mine in one go,so with the carbs e.c.t,i got away with not mapping it!!

Sign in to follow this