• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mrblonde

Pipe Flaring Kit

mrblonde

hi ya,i have just got a brake flaring kit with no instructions,can someone tell me how to use it please. :blush:

wildejon

Have you got to make male or female ends?

You basically have to start with a clean cut end clear out any swarf and chamfer the edges a little.

Then you clamp it in the suitable hole, with varying amounts protruding dependent on whether you are making a male or female end.

Male, you just need a sensible amount, I just do it by eye, and then you screw the clampy thing down into it, add some oil to keep the flare nice and neat.

Female, you need to have the same depth protruding of the flaring piece you are going to insert in the end before flaring it. You then insert the obvious bit of one of the little discs and use the clampy thing again...

You can also make double flares, I think you just make a male one and then a female one on the same end, I'd have to check on that though, really can't remember.

Sorry if thats not very useful, it's harder to describe than I thought!

I can photograph the instructions from mine tomorrow and mail them over if it helps?

Jon

mrblonde

yeah that would be very nice of you to do that jon.thanks..(its the end that going into hte braided brake hoses on the rear,so i would imagine it to be male??)

wildejon

No worries.

I've never taken them apart to know which it would be...

Making a male end always seems much easier to me, you could guess it and get it right I reckon. I'll mail you tomorrow eve mate.

Jon

M3Evo

Don't put oil anywhere near the brake pipe!

Use brake fluid to lubricate it if you must, but not oil!

smighall

If this is for brake lines, you need to make sure it's a double flare anyway.

Sean

mrblonde

thanks for the advise lads,its for the copper brake lines at the rear on a 1.9 gti.

smighall

OK, make sure it IS a double flare then. I've just re-run all my brake lines so have very recent experience of it. If you do just a single flare you could easily end up with leaks, or that's what i was told anyway :blush:

Sean

wildejon

I've just done the brakes on my kit car with single flares.... I hope that was right then!!

Sorry, I did mean brake fluid... Don't believe everything you hear :-)

mrblonde

whats a double flare then?..pics would be a great help.

mrblonde

wicked thanks for that jon.think i just need a pipe cutter now.

smighall

You don't really have to have a pipe cutter mate, a junior hacksaw is fine for the jobs, just make sure the cuts are clean and there are no fray's on the ends etc and you'll be fine.

mrblonde

yeah i did think about useing a junior hacksaw,i shall try that.thanks

jonah
The photos will explain.

Or check out http://robrobinette.com/flare_brake_line.htm

Kinda shows you what to do... Probaby better than the instructions I have tbh!

Those instructions are for concave flares, for standard fittings on the Pug you want convex. The process is exactly the same except you skip the last part where you remove the adapter and screw the flare tool into the pipe a second time.

Worth practising a few flares on a spare bit of pipe to get the hang of it and work out how much pipe you need protruding from the clamp to get a good sized flare.

Sign in to follow this