• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest woll

1.6 Gti Mods?

Guest woll

Hi,

Just bought a 1991 1.6 GTi. The car is pretty much standard except it has been dropped by a few mm. I want to keep the looks the same but what mods can be done to the engine/gearbox, what improvements will those mods make and how much will they cost? For example, filters, induction kits etc...Budget is tight at the moment so the cheaper ones the better but also like to hear about most of the mods available.

I'm sure there are lots of posts on this but can't seem to bring any up when i search (sorry if there is!) so thought it might be a good topic to start. I think it'd be useful also to have a comprehensive list of mods for all models....what do ya think :lol:

Thanks

Edited by woll

jonD6B

If you try a search using the words "Engine" "Modifications" something will surely come up but as a quick guide there are loads of different ways to go for these cars, so much in fact that you'll need to do a search to find all the answers and the reasoning behind them. Sorry if this doesn't seem helpful but when you search you'll see what I mean.

smckeown

put your life in reverse and buy a 1.9

tagy

I would make sure the tyres, suspension and brakes are in top condition, maybe and exhaust and filter for bit of noise.

GLPoomobile

The brakes are s*it and often clonk in reverse, so a good strting pint is to get 1.9 hubs, driveshafts and brakes and they'll be whole lot better. It also means you can upgrade in the future to bigger brakes such as the failry cheap and simple 307 HDi set up. Won;t make the car faster going forward but definately a worth while first move.

Also worth getting the suspension sorted, by which I'm not referring so much to modifications but more to making sure everything is in good nick and replacing worn bushes etc. No good making it faster if it handles like crap.

As for power, not much you can do without spending oodles. A decnt induction filter, Group N exhaust, advance the dizzy and obviosuly give it a good servicing and that'll make it run a bit better, but you will never set the worl alight with the 1.6 XU. Having said that, they are nearly as quick as a 1.9 and can feel a lot more fun to drive.

Since everyone will say it anyway, I may as well be the first - most effective way for quick and easy power (bar NOS) will be an Mi16/S16/GTI6 conversion.

Sign in to follow this