• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sonofsam

Boost Gauge In Steering Wheel Centre

sonofsam

Hi Gents

Look what fits nicely in my steering wheel centre :lol:

DVC012501.jpg

I think it looks well cool,and is a bezzler of a fit,but is the gauge going to function ok? and would this be road/MOT legal?

Would'nt mind knowing peoples opinion on this before i attempt to fit it in !!

Cheers all

Sam.

Rippthrough
Hi Gents

Look what fits nicely in my steering wheel centre :huh:

DVC012501.jpg

I think it looks well cool,and is a bezzler of a fit,but is the gauge going to function ok? and would this be road/MOT legal?

Would'nt mind knowing peoples opinion on this before i attempt to fit it in !!

Cheers all

Sam.

Should be MOT legal, the edges are radiused. Looks great :lol:

GLPoomobile

If you have an accident you'll have a nice indent on your face of how much boost you were running at the point of impact. :lol: Will be a nice memento.

But seriously, I have seen this done once before. Think it was a Jap mobile in America. I always thought it looked pretty kewl.

Edited by GLPoomobile

Jonmurgie

Looks 'ok' but I think in the real world if you actually looked down at the centre of your steeing wheel while under boost you'd probaby end up hitting something! Far better to have it around the level of the standard gauges, or ideally on an A Pillar mount as it's a very natural height to look at :lol:

Also, it will be hard to read going around corners... aiding the 'crashing' thing I mentioned above!!

sonofsam
Should be MOT legal, the edges are radiused. Looks great :huh:

Cheers,Thats true the bezel is radiused and also plastic,guess i could put a rubber O ring on it

for added protection :lol:

Ryan

Won't the contant twisting/untwisting of the hose make it split?

sonofsam
Won't the contant twisting/untwisting of the hose make it split?

Good point and the wires may go astray,Im going off this idea now :lol:

Looks 'ok' but I think in the real world if you actually looked down at the centre of your steeing wheel while under boost you'd probaby end up hitting something! Far better to have it around the level of the standard gauges, or ideally on an A Pillar mount as it's a very natural height to look at :huh:

Also, it will be hard to read going around corners... aiding the 'crashing' thing I mentioned above!!

I just fancied something a little more original than A pillar mount,not a masisve fan,but does put the gauge in easy view...

steering wheel gauge fine for shows and bling then

mmmm,might spin me something :) to put gauge in better view on top of dash somewere

jonD6B

Could you mount it in the wheel but bracket it in against something static so it sits in the same position and run it in a light film of grease so that the wheel turns but the gauge stays stationary? :lol:

smckeown
Looks 'ok' but I think in the real world if you actually looked down at the centre of your steeing wheel while under boost you'd probaby end up hitting something! Far better to have it around the level of the standard gauges, or ideally on an A Pillar mount as it's a very natural height to look at :huh:

I agree with Jon, your in danger of crashing into something looking that far down. I had one on my A Pillar in my scooby

Could you mount it in the wheel but bracket it in against something static so it sits in the same position and run it in a light film of grease so that the wheel turns but the gauge stays stationary? :lol:

Yeah this sounds excellent :)

This forum really makes me laugh sometimes :o

Edited by smckeown

sonofsam

Yes im sure that could be engineered in some way.

it could be fitted into a ball race with a fixed centre spigot maybe

I think the issue is , were it'll be situated for good viewing,i dont want to crash whilst glaring lovingly

at the boost and end up with the words 1 bar implanted on my forehead :huh:

we'll see i think on this one,i may offer it up to see what happens.

My seats are very low in the car,the steering wheel is 300mm and i will be using harnesses...and im short-dude.

jonD6B

If you are using harnesses you shouldn't get anywhere near the wheel. If your head does hit the wheel in a high impact crash I don't think what material you hit is going to make much difference! Go on do it you know you wanna! ;)

Please note:

Due to the nature of some peoples idiotic replies no responsibility can be taken for any serious injuries caused by these replies. (Clause 2.2) Thank you. :D

sonofsam
If you are using harnesses you shouldn't get anywhere near the wheel. If your head does hit the wheel in a high impact crash I don't think what material you hit is going to make much difference! Go on do it you know you wanna! ;)

Please note:

Due to the nature of some peoples idiotic replies no responsibility can be taken for any serious injuries caused by these replies. (Clause 2.2) Thank you. :D

:D . Thats better.yellow and green should never be seen !!

DVC012500000.jpg

I cant even reach my stereo with my harnesess on,thats why i dont have one.

Think i may have a little play with this idea when the time comes,I doubt i'll be that enfatuated with checking the boost all the time anyway,my eyes stay on the road, especially on corners

TEKNOPUG

I've been considering this on mine. I think that you would have to use an electronic unit as you'd have problems with the tube twisting as mentioned before. This would push up the price quite considerably. With regards to viewing it; it's a diagnostic tool so you only need to view it to check that everything is running ok or when adjusting the boost. Use the rev counter to know when to change gear - the boost means nothing.

Rippthrough
I think the issue is , were it'll be situated for good viewing,i dont want to crash whilst glaring lovingly

at the boost and end up with the words 1 bar implanted on my forehead :P

At least we'll know whether you backed off or not :blush:

p.s. - got that photo, forgot about it over the weekend. Can't see a whole lot on it though.

sonofsam
I've been considering this on mine. I think that you would have to use an electronic unit as you'd have problems with the tube twisting as mentioned before. This would push up the price quite considerably. With regards to viewing it; it's a diagnostic tool so you only need to view it to check that everything is running ok or when adjusting the boost. Use the rev counter to know when to change gear - the boost means nothing.

Yeh,would you be using a GTI wheel,that could prove interesting...see im not really wanting to buy another gauge,i like this one,has classic spitfire(as in the plane) looks,

Green lettering matches my harnesses(god , im a tart) and it was a chrimbo pressy from my GF :D

Only solution i can see,apart from buying an electronc gauge is if it did'nt turn with the wheel,may need to be over-engineered to make it work.

another problem :wacko: Im not likely to have a rev counter working,so i'll either have to buy a tacho gauge

and mount that somewere or mess around with a BX/similar dial set-up.

Ar well sound like a good exscuse to fit that flock dash i always wanted :(

No seriously,i just want to drive my car now,**** the aesthetics.

nearly forgotten how good driving a GTI is,let alone a turbo,had a passenger ride in a metro Turbo before,IIRC that had a funky Knightrider style boost gauge above the rear view mirror.

Sign in to follow this