• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dave87

Jumpy Gears

Dave87

hi people having problems with 2nd and 4th if i don't keep my foot on the accelrator when i'm going along then they jump out of gear the other gears are fine any ideas on this would be great cheers dave

Jonmurgie

I would suspect that the gearbox is worn and needs replacing/rebuilding...

Dave87

hmm joy not what i was hopeing to hear but i was thinking it would be that cheers for the reply

dave

stu_woac

if its only second and forth it may be to much movement in the engine and the movement kock it out because of where the rods lye in 2nd and 4th, could be exhaust hitting the rods also,

if not its the pastic ends on the selectors in the gear box they fall off very easy , normally just give you sloppy gears tho

Dave87

hi yeh i'll get under it today and have a look last time i looked there was one conection rod knocking on the throught pipe i do get a fair bit of gear shacking from the bumpy roads so maybe but the gear stick does seem to just slide out as if there is nothing holding it in gear anymore. cheers dave

Mankee

The selectors and syncro hubs tend to be pretty bulletproof inside an MA gearbox. So it could be knackered/fouling linkages or your engine rocking too much on knackered engine mounts.

stu_woac

the selectors in a old ma box is far from bulletproof its a poor design

Dave87

the box is from an m reg 1.124 205 mardi if this helps. looked under it today and when its in 2nd the linkages get pritty close to the through pipe i just think the boxs is on its way out as it feels like somthing has worn away no longer holding it in gear . its fine if my foot is on the accelerator its when i take it of its slides out.

dave

Guest smokinslim

It won't do any harm to check out your mounts. The bottom mount in particular, if it's extremely worm could be the cause of the problem. Do you have any difficulty changing into/out of gears whilst cornering at speed?

Rippthrough

Hmm, sounds like the selectors may be worn and tapered, fine while driving but the tapered face is giving enough of a vecotr force to push them back out when the force is transmited backward through the box. <br> You could try an oil change( decent fully synth in our made the change noticably better) but I don't think it will help in this case, and as said, check your mounts.

Dave87

changine gear is fine its just i have to hold the gear stick if i'm deselerating with engine braking but when i'm acselerating its fine as the power holds it in gear. i do get some gears tick shacking while i'm going.looks like i'm going under agine i'll let u now on the mounts i'm hoping the box will last till july where the converiton will take place so will now longer be needing this engine gearbox.

ablister

probably the detent springs in the box that are away

Sign in to follow this