• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
PUGugly

Mappable Ignition With Bike Carbs, What Works Best?

PUGugly

Just got myself a set of bike carbs for my 1.9 8v and am looking at what the best mappable ignition set up is for the engine. Has any body had any experience of this and what did you find worked well? As always on a budget and would ideally like a setup that can be swapped over on to a Mi engine at a later date, is this possible?

Jonmurgie

Well 'what works best' is very subjective in this matter! Just like any of the other posts about 'which ECU to use' you kind of take your pic depending on Price and who is going to map it. For the cheaper end of the scale I guess you have:

Emerald - well respected and well known ECU's

KMS - fairly new to the market and a few people using them on here, seems the cheapest around at the moment

Omex - again some users of this on here and around the same price as Emerald I think

Megasquirts

Lumination

I'm sure there are more but those seem to pop up in discussions on here regularly. All will work for your application and can be taken across to an Mi later as they are all universal as it were :lol:

PUGugly

Unfortunatley as always I'm on a budget!!! Will look into them some more.

Is it possible to ajust these in car on a laptop once up and running?

No mention of Alpha ignition, any particular reason?

PUGugly

Thanks!

Just looked at emeralds site, was very interesting!

:lol:

smckeown

surely ignition only ECUs have so little in terms of functionality there can be hardly any difference between them I'd go for the cheapest, even buying 2nd hand etc

PUGugly
surely ignition only ECUs have so little in terms of functionality there can be hardly any difference between them I'd go for the cheapest, even buying 2nd hand etc

Yeah the later 205's had mappable igniton didn't they? Could think of that as a option, would probably be cheaper at a breakers yard, How easy would they be to map and get the software for?

Jonmurgie

I don't think they did... never heard of it in all my time on these boards?!

PUGugly

Was it mappable fueling they had then?? :lol:

rich_w

The ECU was montronic and as far as I could tell the ECU controlled the timing.

As for your mappable ignition, i'm sure there was a thread on here about megajolt, might be just what your looking for :lol:

Edited by rich_w

Dream Weaver

I've got the Emerald and bike bodies.

Emerald is nice, easy to install, but not cheap. Mine cost about £850 by the time i'd done the wiring loom, rev counter convertor etc.

Bike bodies have cost £260 ish so far.

DrSeuss

Megajolt is the cheapest option and is pretty capable. Google for it and you should come up with some info.

The issue with ignition mapping is, it HAS to be done on a rolling road. So perhaps you should find a local operator and talk to them about the options available.

Likelihood is they'll try to sell you what they deal in.

petert

search on eBay for a Haltech IG4 or IG5. They're ignition only, no longer made but still supported and perfect for what you need.

Edited by petert

Sign in to follow this