• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dave87

Piston Rings

Dave87

piston rings should be on the way now so i'm trying to find out what is involved in replacing them the engine is srtiped and the pistons out.

I now this much that i have to get a compresor to get the new rings into the bores but i have heard that u need to ruff up the surface of the bores for the pistons to grip inabling them to bed in has anyone got any infor on this.

a guy on psooc told me it was called HONING

cheers dave

bren_1.3

sounds like youve got it all sorted matey. you rehone the liners so that the piston rings can seal properly. any half decent engineer's shop should be able to do this for you, and it shouldnt cost too much.

the liners should just knock out the block with a bit of wood and a rubber mallet.

just remember to get new rubber seals for the liners to sit on in the block aswell.

Pugnut

piston ring compressor:

JAAA1303.jpg

used like this:

49.29a16.18a_4Eringcompressor.jpg

Jonmurgie

mmmm... those are sexy pistons ;)

Yeah, I mentioned HONING on the psooc forum... as far as I can tell it's something that you need to get done as it's not quite a 'diy' thing. And that piston ring compressor is a MUST!

Banjo

Honing is done to de-glaze the bore so the new rings can bed in to the cylinder and seal properly, not just slide up and down on the old shiney surface.

Try a search been covered lots of times, also try a google search if your not too clued up on things like these.

Ben

Edited by Banjo

Dave87

cheers guy that has been a lot of help i've been told that u can get a tool that fits on the end of a drill whcih can do the job of Honing any ideas . i'll get on the seach as well cheers dave

Edited by Dave87

Pugnut
cheers guy that has been a lot of help i've been told that u can get a tool that fits on the end of a drill whcih can do the job of Honing any ideas . i'll get on the seach as well cheers dave

for little more than the price of a honing tool you could get it done proffesionally and know that its done right.

Dave87

Yeh u have a good point well if i can find a place to do the work then i get it don otherwise i'll look into doing it myself cheers dave

Dave87

does piston bore honing only need to be done if you are putting brande new rings in as the cost of replacing my piston rings is looking a bit much considering the ones i have at the mo are fine. cheers dave

Sign in to follow this