• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
d-9

Cold Starting

d-9

Anyone got any tips to get my car to idle from cold? Ive tweaked the cold enrichment up a bit and added on a little ignition advance which seemed to help a little but I cant get it not to die if you lift off quickly unless the water temp is 40deg or higher.

M3Evo

Take it you haven't got an IACV then?

Mine used to die when it was cold on a shut throttle so I tweeked them open a bit and then brought the hot idle down with the ignition advance and idle fueling.

Seems to work alright.

The idle control with ignition advance seems to help massively too (this is with an Emerald and TBs by the way)

d-9

I do have an ICV but its blockd off at the mo and im using ignition advance to control the idle. Hot idle is perfect but its jut the cold starting (ive set the throttle stop open a little).

Using KMS on TU5J4

IvarS

How much ignition advance at idle do you guys have?

M3Evo

I've got only 5 or 6 degrees at idle, with 10 everywhere below idle speed and the ignition able to advanve up to 25 I think.

IvarS
I've got only 5 or 6 degrees at idle, with 10 everywhere below idle speed and the ignition able to advanve up to 25 I think.

I see, Megasquirt has a feature that allows a certain ignition advance during cranking. It's set to 10 degrees BTDC atm, will try to set it to 5-6 degrees. My engine stalls 1-2 times before it maintains a steady idle when it's below 10C ambient temperature but works fine above that.

M3Evo

I've got 8 degrees cranking advance, then the 5 or 6 degrees at 1000rpm on a closed throttle.

Not sure if you'd need more advance with more valves / cylinder though (mine's a 2v/cyl)

Robsbc
I've got 8 degrees cranking advance, then the 5 or 6 degrees at 1000rpm on a closed throttle.

Not sure if you'd need more advance with more valves / cylinder though (mine's a 2v/cyl)

I have an Emerald on my Mi16 with bodies and can get it to fire cleanly and idle without stalling from temps as low as -4 degrees.

Not much help just to prove you can get a car to idle without an IACV. Rpm at those temps are 750ish rpm

Sign in to follow this