• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sekim

Sump Spacer Plate

sekim

Was on my way to do a 12 car tonight when my nav noticed I was leaving a trail of oil behind :D

A closer inspection reveals that the sump has taken a bit of a beating (despite having a sump guard) and is leaking around the drain plug. The main problem is that clearance between the sump and the guard is quite tight and so any small stones that find their way in get trapped.

The 1.6 engine doesn't have that spacer, and I've read a couple of posts saying that a 1.9 from a 405 sri or BX also didn't have the spacer. So I'm wondering can I just remove the spacer to give myself a bit more clearance? :D

Dream Weaver

I doubt it if its a std 1.9 engine, its there to give the bottom of the rods extra clearance from what I remember due to the longer stroke.

I may be wrong though :D

sekim

Hmm, that's what I assumed too, Peugeot didn't do anything without good reason!

Perhaps it's time for some mudflap material down the sides to stop the stones from getting in. Or maybe wedge a bit of foam between sump and guard to stop the stones from getting trapped.

Guest andy309goodwood

iirc is because the 1.9 crank has a larger swing on the counter weights the spacer was added to prevent the counters smaking the sump oil

i think

andy

Miles

The 1.6 and most base XU engines run a deep sump so no need for the skirt stiffener plate (Spacer as everyone calls it) The 1.9 GTi and 1.9 MI16's run a shallower sump.

It has nothing to do with the extra stoke

Henry Yorke

I concur with Miles. from what I have heard from a Peugeot Master Technician (and the first guy to put an Mi in a 205 and a 309) this is actually a block stiffening plate that was introduced when Peugeot decided to put the XU engine up to 1.9 litres and 130 bhp. Interestingly enough, the 1.9 CTI engine I have does not use this "spacer", nor does the 405 SRI IIRC.

Your 1.9 sump will not fit without the spacer on a 1.6 or a 1.9 as it will hit the oil pickup before it hits the bottom of the block.

A tin sump can take some beating. Ally (Mi / aircon 205's) sumps do not fair so well.

Bonzai

you could fit an xu10 sump as i will hopefully be doing. i havent had any search results back wether it will be catastrophic running without the stiffener yet. i may just go for it anyway

petert

Believe it or not, I've never seen a steel sump on an XU engine. All the cars sold in Australia had alloy sumps, probably because A/C was standard. Our early 1.9L 205 GTi's did not have a stiffening plate, later ones did.

sekim

Thanks for the info guys :D

I'll probably try and fix the old sump to stop it leaking, I think it just needs flatening around the drain plug. I don't want an ally sump cos as henry says they don't take too fondly to rough handling.

Here's a pic of the guard - you can see where it's been rubbing around the sump and the gearbox drain plug. Hopefully some blocks of foam in these areas will prevent it from happening any more.

img_1584.sized.jpg

Edited by sekim

pug_ham

I sucessfully ran my car on a steel sump without the spacer plate for a while last year but that sump was from a BX TRi which was the basic donor for my internals. Even with a 7k rev limit I had no trouble.

I've since fitted the spacer & proper 1.9 GTi sump though so the engien should be slight stiffer & not suffer from fatal block flex when at high rpm / oil temps on track days.

Wouldn't your current sump be safer without the vertical alloy strip on your sump guard (cause of the damage around drain plug? ) or does that not sit over the sump?

Graham.

sekim
Wouldn't your current sump be safer without the vertical alloy strip on your sump guard (cause of the damage around drain plug? ) or does that not sit over the sump?

The vertical strip runs between the sump and the gearbox. These are the marks made by the stones trapped under the sump:

img_1586.sized.jpg

The other marks you can can see in the previous picture are also due to stones getting caught but this time under the gearbox drain plug.

Sign in to follow this