• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
NOsMAN

Door Hinge Bolt (pins)

NOsMAN

What happened today

1) I tried unscrewing the bolt until the the starbit was knackered (ended up rounding the bolt)

2) Clobbered it with a hammer

3) Tried to cut it off with an angle grinder but part off it is still inside the welded part of the hinge

4) Drilled it with 3 metal drill bits and knackered them.

5) Bought some more and they all snapped while drilling

Thought it was gonna be an easy job removing the door now its turned into an absolute nightmare..

The door is now off but i cant fit the new one until i can remove the broken bolt :)

Wish it had the old style pins where you just knocked them out like on my old F plate.

If i can find my extraction bits will attempt it tomorrow..

Any other ideas?????

Alastairh

Blow torch and correct punch. Think there 7-8mm.

I had similar problems on my old 1.6 205. No matter how many times i hit it with my lump hammer it wouldn't budge.

Paintguy

Top or bottom one?

With them being the screwed in type, you're pretty much... well, screwed really :wacko: I'm not surprised you went through so many drill bits, as the pins are hardened.

A bit of heat will always help though, and if it's the top one, you may be able to get to drill it from underneath. Doing it that way, the drill bit might grab, and then it's turning in the right direction to undo the screwed in portion (if you get my drift)

I know it's too late now, but preparation is always the key when working on older stuff like this. Treatment with a penetrating oil for a few days before would have helped, and applying a bit of heat before you started to undo it would have made life easier too.

NOsMAN

Its the top one.. did spray the bolts before hand with WD40.

Just realised my drill doesn't have reverse :wacko: How am i suppose to put in the extraction bit(now that i have found them)

Will have to try the blow torch ,but when i mentioned it today he was laughing cos he said i will set the car on fire :(

Pugnut

i don't know how feasable it is due to the hardness of the pins and the access to the top of the hinge but in the past i have cut a slot in the top of bolts with a hacksaw and got at it with an impact screwdriver (might bend the hinge unless its supported somehow) or just a very big flat bladed driver . ok you'll cut a slot in the top of the hinge but it's not going to affect it .along with some heat it should work

you can use a shifter on the flat tip of the screwdriver to give some torque to the screwdriver.

NOsMAN
i don't know how feasable it is due to the hardness of the pins and the access to the top of the hinge but in the past i have cut a slot in the top of bolts with a hacksaw and got at it with an impact screwdriver (might bend the hinge unless its supported somehow) or just a very big flat bladed driver . ok you'll cut a slot in the top of the hinge but it's not going to affect it .along with some heat it should work

you can use a shifter on the flat tip of the screwdriver to give some torque to the screwdriver.

One problem i have chopped the top and bottom of the bolt with the angle grinder so now its level with the welded on hinge :wacko:

Just wondering if a diamond tipped drilling bit will allow me to drill thru it??

Edited by NOsMAN

Pugnut
One problem i have chopped the top and bottom of the bolt with the angle grinder so now its level with the welded on hinge :wacko:

Just wondering if a diamond tipped drilling bit will allow me to drill thru it??

yeh , thats still ok though , cut a slot a couple of mm deep through everything and get the driver on the pin only . a slight groove on the top of the hingeshouldn't affect it , as long as there arent any sharp burrs left on it . even better do it on the underside and there wont be any weight of the door on the underside.

Sign in to follow this