• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
matty_gti

1.9 Head On A 1.6

matty_gti

hi, i recently had a 1.9 head put on my 1.6. i know the valves are slightly bigger and 'puma racing' said that this is fine and that the head will fit.

After i got it back i have noticed that the idle goes from 500- 1500 and its alll wavey and over the place before it decides to hang its self. when driving it is ok but when you take your foot off the pedal the revs come down a little to far, so i put my foot down agian so it coughs, splatters then........dies.

Has any 1 got any ideas???

Cheers.

RobMGti

Im assuming since you have done the head you have had everything re-set up again? If not - id start there!

matty_gti

if you mean 'set up' as in the timing and ignition timing then yeah it has been done.

do you think the fuel - air mixture needs twiking?

Ive just bought some 2.0l Mi16 injectors, would this help?.

Thanks for the reply :wacko:

j_turnell

You had it on a gas analyser? Sounds like its hunting...

matty_gti

Errr i cant say i have, isnt that like testing the emissions?, and what would i get out of having it tested?.

could you explain 'hunting'?.

Cheers Pal.

Richie-Van-GTi

sounds like air/fuel mix or an air leak on the intake.

Paintguy
could you explain 'hunting'?.

After i got it back i have noticed that the idle goes from 500- 1500 and its alll wavey and over the place before it decides to hang its self.

You've already done that pretty well yourself, you probably just didn't realise what it was called :wacko:

j_turnell

Sounds like its running rich the Co machine would tell you how well the engine is running in terms of fueling at idle, it should be running between 1-3% Co at 900rpm, ideally around the 1.7-2 mark, sounds like yours is a fair bit higher than that, the AFM will need adjusting a 5mm allen key, anti clockwise will lean it out and visa versa.

simonb

AFAIK the locating dowel on the 1.6 and 1.9 cam pulleys are ever so slightly different. I presume this is to account for the wilder cam of the 1.9 so if you have used the 1.6 pulley, the cam timing will probably be slightly wrong which could cause the rough running you describe.

Failing that, it could just be the fact that te 8v engine runs like a bag of spanners anyway and is forever going out of tune (not that I'm bitter about it).....

HTH

Anthony
AFAIK the locating dowel on the 1.6 and 1.9 cam pulleys are ever so slightly different.

Nope, all 1.6/1.9 XU injection cam pulleys are identical except for the XU9J2 (405 SRi) engine

returnofjim

This might seem a daft question but after putting the 1.9 head on and putting the inlet and everything back together, did you fasten the oil filler neck to the inlet manifold in the correct place? if you dont bolt the oil filler neck up it causes a bad air leak in the inlet manifold and will cause poor tickover and die when you try and rev it.

Just a thought :D

dead205

I have the exact set up in my chery 1.6. I had no end of problems trying to time the cam up. Everytime I used the timing holes it would run like it was a tooth out. It went into RE Performance and they couldnt get it right using the holes either. In the end they set it correctly without using the timing hole.

Turns out that the problem lay with the fact i'd used the 1.6 cover plate on the 1.9 head and it was these that were mal-allined. It isnt massively out but was enough to put it out by a tooth! Just check to see if your timing dowel goes through the cam hole straight, mine will only fit at an angle - hence the problems.

cheers

Mark

Sign in to follow this