• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Az_GTi

Gettin' Those Trims Back To Black

Guest Az_GTi

Been spending my Sunday giving her a thorough clean and waxing, looks jubbly. But... one thing in particular is ratting me off :(

Yep those b*stard trims... they aren't black and worst thing is they aren't all the same "not black" colour, bit of a mix-n-match of greys really. I know I know, many are like it, but I want to FIX it. I don't however want to have to take all the trims/bumpers off and spray them... unless I really have to (have seen the thread on how to etc and yes I know it looks good etc...).

I've got this back-to-black spray... it's sh!te. What do you recommend using that might actually work? Ideally I'd want something quite long lasting, but I don't mind re-doing every couple of weeks or so... Are there any sprays/gels that actually work? Anyone care to share their secrets?

Cheers

Az

Banjo

Autoglym bumper snot, works wonders.

Ben

tidypug

i agree with banjo, autoglym bumper snot is the best stuff to use :(

miamistu

Is that the aerosol stuff? (the autoglym stuff, that is).

Edited by miamistu

sam205gti

I am about to just paint mine, the paint will cost about £30 in total so long term it will save me money on not buying trim cleaner, just takes a bit of time and effort to do, I will probably take the bumpers off to do it.

timmsy19

im another vote for autoglym products. its not an aerosol its kind of thick cream stuff. ive not actually used it but my brother in-law used it on my mates motor when he had a scuff and it was so good he had to do all black plastics on the outside. it also leaves a nice water proof film on the top

Edited by timmsy19

charlie_sav

spend the time to paint them autoglym is good but does not last, and the finish of them painted is much better,

Russelltp

Autoglym bumper care works very well, also the longer its left before polishing it off the better it seems to last. A heat gun also helps to bring the plastic if its very faded. Obviously used with care to avoid melting bits of trim.

hengti

^^^ yikes!

last time i bothered (2 years ago ... :( ) i used the green automglym bumper gloop as well

it works well, but it's bloody hard work if you've got loads of wax residue to remove or you just haven't done them in a while

this sounds well geeky, but i'd recommend using masking tape on the plastic trim whilst you're waxing the car - doesn't take long to put on and and makes it alot easier to do the trim afterwards

efy2bjg

Turtle wax black chrome. It's actually black and will make new standard grey bumpers black! It lasts ages too, just don't get it on your paintwork as it's tough getting it off.

Ben

Redtop

Na. The only way to get them back to nearly original is to use a heat gun. There was a thread on this a while back that i mentioned this, and this does actually work. Don't focus on one area constantly or it will melt it. If done right this does work as i done a whole nova and it looked like new when finished. Worth of a go and it's a life time job if you keep them protected with autoglym or alike from then on

hengti
Na. The only way to get them back to nearly original is to use a heat gun. There was a thread on this a while back that i mentioned this, and this does actually work. Don't focus on one area constantly or it will melt it. If done right this does work as i done a whole nova and it looked like new when finished. Worth of a go and it's a life time job if you keep them protected with autoglym or alike from then on

never done this and not sure how it works

you're effectively melting the plastic a little - do you not lose the grainy finish if you use this method?

the reason the std trim is so difficult to clean is because of this grainy finish. i'd still rather spend ages scrubbing it though if using a blowtorch takes the grain away - smooth plastic would look well naff in my mind

can you explain what sort of finish you end up with?

ta

batoutofhell

Ive been using Meguiar's Gold Class Trim Detailer, brings it up realy nice. Use it bout every 4-5 weeks. Does the job for me. Gonna try the autoglym next now ive seen so many good comments about it.

Edp
Ive been using Meguiar's Gold Class Trim Detailer, brings it up realy nice. Use it bout every 4-5 weeks. Does the job for me. Gonna try the autoglym next now ive seen so many good comments about it.

really good gear. didnt like it at first but it does get it all black and shiney. You need to use a lot though. bumper snot is also very good.

Ed

Paintguy
you're effectively melting the plastic a little - do you not lose the grainy finish if you use this method?

Not if you're careful :rolleyes:

As Redtop says, don't keep the heat in one area for too long, you're just wanting to melt the very top layer of plastic that the colour has bleached out of. Also make sure the trims are clean before you begin. Nothing special needed, just a good wash with soapy water, rinse and dry. Otherwise, any dirt, old trim polish, or tar spots will be melted into the surface, and can leave it patchy. If you take it steady, you'll end up with a finish that's almost indistinguishable from a new one.

I do this regularly, so I'll try and get a vid next time, so people can see the technique. Looks like magic when you're doing it, especially on something like a Corsa, where the arch trims go almost white with age. A quick waft over with some heat, and they're instantly back to black. ^_^

findlay

I used to get a plastic pan scourer, soak with thinners/ panel wipe or similar (something you've tested doesn't attack the trim too much) and scrub all the dirt off with that before applying bumper snot... worked a treat and meant the finish lasted longer too :rolleyes:

Guest Az_GTi

Excellent, thanks fella's. Ordered some Auto Glym Bumper Stuff. Hopefully that'll do the trick :rolleyes:

Interested in this heat gun idea... makes sense. Can you damage the surrounding paint at all? Last thing I'd want is black bumpers and trim with flaky paint lol... What do you reckon using the missus' hairdryer? Enought oompfff to do the job? Would need about 4 extensions to get to the car though lol

Cheers

Rippthrough
Not if you're careful :rolleyes:

As Redtop says, don't keep the heat in one area for too long, you're just wanting to melt the very top layer of plastic that the colour has bleached out of. Also make sure the trims are clean before you begin. Nothing special needed, just a good wash with soapy water, rinse and dry. Otherwise, any dirt, old trim polish, or tar spots will be melted into the surface, and can leave it patchy. If you take it steady, you'll end up with a finish that's almost indistinguishable from a new one.

I do this regularly, so I'll try and get a vid next time, so people can see the technique. Looks like magic when you're doing it, especially on something like a Corsa, where the arch trims go almost white with age. A quick waft over with some heat, and they're instantly back to black. ^_^

Keep meaning to do this on the 306, it looks ok with black bumpers and crap with grey ones and my sons going through back to black faster than fuel :P

Need a new heatgun though, mines been sat in the garage for about 12 years :D

Any tips or tricks for it? Or, failing that, prices :D

findlay
Excellent, thanks fella's. Ordered some Auto Glym Bumper Stuff. Hopefully that'll do the trick :rolleyes:

Interested in this heat gun idea... makes sense. Can you damage the surrounding paint at all? Last thing I'd want is black bumpers and trim with flaky paint lol... What do you reckon using the missus' hairdryer? Enought oompfff to do the job? Would need about 4 extensions to get to the car though lol

Cheers

The idea is that it should be hot enough to melt the plastic... not just hot enough to extract the best hold from your styling mousse... Off to B&Q for you i think. Of course, for a laugh, you could always replace her hairdryer with a heatgun for a day... just to see if it saves her some time in the morning.

d-9
The idea is that it should be hot enough to melt the plastic... not just hot enough to extract the best hold from your styling mousse... Off to B&Q for you i think. Of course, for a laugh, you could always replace her hairdryer with a heatgun for a day... just to see if it saves her some time in the morning.

Haha you obviously havent seen the hairdriers women use these days! My ex's was great for drying stuff, think it was about 2kw too!

Compare:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product.asp?p=060810108

http://www.boots.com/shop/product_details....74&slmRefer=000

Paintguy
Need a new heatgun though, mines been sat in the garage for about 12 years :)

Any tips or tricks for it? Or, failing that, prices :D

Blow off the dust, plug it in, and see what happens!

Failing that, new ones are normally about £30 :P

But my best tip for your bumpers: Take it to someone nearby that's done it before, and chuck a bottle of red in the boot :(

Rippthrough

Failing that, new ones are normally about £30 :P

But my best tip for your bumpers: Take it to someone nearby that's done it before, and chuck a bottle of red in the boot :(

:)

de Noir
I do this regularly, so I'll try and get a vid next time, so people can see the technique. Looks like magic when you're doing it, especially on something like a Corsa, where the arch trims go almost white with age. A quick waft over with some heat, and they're instantly back to black. :rolleyes:

Gee Andy, is there something you haven't done... :D

This is very handy tip... I wondered what should I do with my bumpers, door and glasroof trim, and this may be the way.

:blush:

Rippthrough

It went "Bzzzzzzz", smoked a little and blew the fuse. :rolleyes:

Sign in to follow this