• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Simmy

Cv Boots/joints

Simmy

Hey guys,

I have the lovely job of changing the outer CV boot on my Carina before the day is out, it failed it's MOT yesterday on the split CV boot (which i hadn't noticed :) ) and if i don't fix it today i have to pay for a full restest! :wacko:

i've got to the shaft and removed the old boot, but haven't a clue about how to seperate the CV joint to get the new boot on! so far i've tried to leave the shaft on the car to save the whole gearbox oil malarkey but if I have to take it off I will.

I'm up to this point...

th_17032006270.jpg

(click to enlarge)

Have heard about these cone tools but 1) I can't find one anywhere 2) haven't got a 'stretchy' CV boot (well it's an AMK one, but certainly doesn't say anything about being a stretchy one), I can't even turn the sodding boot inside out so don't think the stretching bit is an option. :D

I know it sounds odd but this forum is the most useful for ANY car issues i've had! Hopin you guys can help me out of a tricky situation! Ooh, forgot to say, I haven't got a haynes manual, and would ideally like avoid getting one cos i'm a cheapskate ;)

Edited by Simmy

mbayley77

i am guessing that any reasonable motor factors would keep the cone device for the cv boots. It basically is like the top of a traffic cone which you cover in some nice lubricant. you then slip the cv boot over the cone which means it goes past the actual cv joint. Anywhere thats sells the cone will certainly sell the lube and the cv boots.

Simmy

I've managed to do it... but...

right well i made my own cone (going on the pics i've seen of then on the net) and there's no way that boot is stretching that far!

So in the end i've undone the inner CV joint taken that boot off and put the outer CV boot on from the inner CV end! :D I think i remember reading somewhere that on some cars the outer CV is pressed on and off, so i doubt i'd have the strength if that was the case!

One problem though... the wider end of the CV boot seemed much too wide, and with the clips AMK supply with the boot there's no way i can tighten it up enough... so I've used a big jubilee/hose clip, i know this isn't ideal but will it pass it's MOT with it?

quick replies please lads :lol:

mbayley77

If it is sealed then yes, but if its loose or doesnt seal properly then no.

Simmy

yeah it's sealed properly with the jubilee clip. cheers man! 8)

Simmy

okay... so was messed around majorly by kwik-fit on friday :angry:

just a quick Q... going one step closer to a bodge job... would a cable/zip tie be adequate if it sealed the CV boot? i've just noticed when putting the driveshaft back in that the inner CV boot is no longer sealed properly and a jubilee clip won't fit (the screw bit catches on part of the gearbox).

typical me leaving it till the last minute :lol:

jackherer

cable ties will pass the mot as long as they are secure.

Simmy

mucho thanks :angry:

Guest smokinslim

Use stainless steel tieing wire i think its called. Double or triple it up, wrap round the boot and twist up nice and tight. Done right it'll hold fast and better than cable ties, unless u have metal ties that is.

C_W

Simmy, you mustn't have bought a stretch boot if it didn't stretch enough, they're different to regular boots.

Sign in to follow this