• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kent

My Xu10j4 Turbo Engine Project.

kent

Thought it coild be fun to show you guys my XU10j4 engine project. And to get some help along the way.

This is the status right now.

A dirty bottom end

motorblock_skitigt.jpg

Some polish :blink:

Putsad.jpg

Painted

Malad.jpg

Next step for me is to figure out how to lower the compression in a good way.

B1ack_Mi16

If you don't care about getting rather bad squish and combustion efficiency in the engine, just get a Cometic headgasket, 3 layer steel. They supply them in thickness from 0.7 -> 3mm.

kent

Okey thanks... ill look into that.

kent

Anyone know the best way to connect the turbo oil outlet to the engine. It needs to be at least dia 15mm inside.

I have been thinking of to weld a pipe in the sump as far up as possible. But where is the oil level so I dont get any problems with that?

Hilgie

Sump is the best place.

M3Evo

I bought a couple of oil returns from a Landrover TDi and bolted that to the sump.

Seems to work quite well :angry:

kent

So there is not any problems to use the sump for oil return?

M3Evo: Do you have any pictures of the installation? Pm or mail me =)

M3Evo

Had a couple of people asking for piccies of it, will try and get some as soon as I can.

Even got part numbers for the bits if you need them? :angry:

kent

Pics and part numbers would be very nice.

And pictures of your whole turbo installation :angry:

Anyone know the best way to connect the turbo oil outlet to the engine. It needs to be at least dia 15mm inside.

I have been thinking of to weld a pipe in the sump as far up as possible. But where is the oil level so I dont get any problems with that?

When I did mine I bought the XU10J4TE pistons. Same bore and fits straight back on to the rods. and they come with the stainless steel rings. Running up to 25 psi of boost and no problems thus far. Good luck.

kent

XU10J4TE pistons sounds really expensive.

M3Evo

Hokey doke,

for the pipe, the part number is STC4534

and for the associated gasket, the number is 8510016

The pipe has a 90degree bend in it and is welded to a flange which has a couple of mounting holes in it so basically you pick a flat bit of sump and then drill 3No. holes in it, then assemble the whole lot. The pipe's about 14mm dia :angry:

Apart from crapping myself that I'd got swaft under the sump baffling, it took about 20mins to fit them to my sump.

It's not a pug I'm afraid, but there are some piccies here http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=45561&hl=

kutija

Hi.

Can you tell me where to read the engine number from xu10j4 block??

About turbo oil return,I would put it as high on the sump as possible so it 's over the oil level in the sump...and i would insert a tube in a sump at some angle so it's positioned downwards....

Edited by kutija

les3002

the turbo technics oil drain is to the sump also.

calibra/cavalier turbo pistons will fit and are only 80+vat each new, around 120 for a set secondhand, theres people running 500bhp on these as they are forged from the factory but dont need big ring gaps like aftermarket forged pistons.

kent

M3Evo: Thnx for the part numbers :) .... but I didnt find any pictures of it in the link... I must be blind B)

kutilja: I dont really know where the number is located. Offcorse I will mount it as far up as possible. But can someone confirm that I will not get any problems that the oil in the sump will disturb the flow from the turbo.

les3002: Is there any pics of turbo technics solution?

Will the calibra pistons fit on my rods?

M3Evo

Aah sorry about that, there aren't any pics of the returns in that thread :)

Will sort some out as soon as I can.

les3002

do a search mate theres bound to be a pic of a tt sump on gere somewhere, i dont have any and the car is at my mums place.

again if you do a search on migweb ive no doubt you will find the small end size of the c20let rods, worse case scenario is you have to have them re-bushed, i know alot of people who turbo the ford zetec engine use these pistons.

Guest andy309goodwood

might be a daft sugegestion but y not use a set of 2L turbo pistons from a xm turbo engine

as for the oil return youll find that on the front and the back of the block there are a pair of what look like dip stick locations that have blanking plugs in

on the 2.0 turbo the front one is the oil feed and the rear one is the oil return for the turbo it might be worth looking to see if you can open these up and use them to save modding your block

if you would like some pics i am at the same stage on my engine and could take some picys and post them up

tom_m

andy, take some pics anyway man, engine build pics are always good! its nice to see how people are getting on!

les3002

the 2l 8v pistons are regarded as being quite weak, even in the 8v.

they also probably are crank located so same problems.

Guest andy309goodwood

its the 2L turbo pistons which i belive are ok but they do have a large dish in the piston crown as std

they are crank located with a fully floting gougion pin

les3002

still id rather go for the forged vaux stuff than the cast pug ones, they will also lower the compression.

kent

I think I will go with the Cometic gasket to lower the compression at first.

And I will try to mount the oilreturn in the sump. I will go and look for some parts today.

And andy309goodwood it would be nice if you can show me some pics.

Ty all for the help :D

Edited by kent

kent

I have found pistons from a c20xe 16v, are they the same as in c20let?

Sign in to follow this