• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Guest WillN

Mi16 Ecus

Guest WillN

Just wondering if someone can help me with an ecu question?

I need a loom and ecu for a d6c alloy block mi16 i bought a while ago. After searching around on the site it seems the number I'm after for the ecu is 0 261 200 355. Will this number have the knock sensor?

Thing is, I've found an ecu which the seller claims is for the 1.9 alloy block, but the number's 0 261 200 376. Don't want to waste money on this so can anyone tell me if this is for the 1.9 MI....?

Thanks in advance

Will

petert

355 is definitely 16V Motronic 1.3 with knock, but no lamda sensor. There are two other 1.3 versions, both with lamda and knock:

0 261 200 161

0 261 200 176 (California only)

jim205GTI

slight hijack but will an ECU code of this 0261 200 354 does this use a knock sensor.....if it doesn't it means i can call off my search for that :blink:

pug_ham

0261 200 354 is from a BX & from reading the BX Haynes manual it should have a knock sensor fitted but don't take that as gospel.

Graham.

C_W

All these ECUs are 3-row I believe?

On the 2-row loom there are about 4 different ECUs but they all work on a 2-row loom, there are just slight differences in mapping and idling characteristics so I'd guess it would be the same for the 3-row loom/ecus too.

ellisg

0 261 200 376 is for a Calibra 2 litre 8 valve (C20NE) not a pug

ending 355/354 is the Motronic 1.3 3 row (knock sensor)

ending 161 is Motronic 4.1 2 row

C_W

The other 4.1 ECUs end 119, 125, 139 and 140 (not heard of/seen a 161 before)

Anthony
The other 4.1 ECUs end 119, 125, 139 and 140 (not heard of/seen a 161 before)

Mi16 CAT models (XU9J4/Z) use the ECU ending in "161", but AFAIK that's M1.3 rather than ML4.1

0 261 200 119 - BX 16v ML4.1

0 261 200 125 - 405 Mi16 ML4.1

0 261 200 139 - 405 Mi16 ML4.1

0 261 200 140 - BX 16v ML4.1

0 261 200 161 - 405 Mi16 M1.3 CAT

0 261 200 354 - BX 16v M1.3

0 261 200 355 - 405 Mi16 M1.3

jim205GTI

Guess i can't call of my need for a knock sensor then ;):D

Guest WillN

Not sure which year my MI engine is, know it's a D6C code though... Is there anyway I can find out if the injection system's 1.3 or 4.1?

Edited by WillN

Anthony
Not sure which year my MI engine is, know it's a D6C code though... Is there anyway I can find out if the injection system's 1.3 or 4.1?

There should be a year stamped on the head to give you an idea of what vintage the engine is. Late engines that originally had M1.3 on them should have a knock sensor on the front of the block at the bottom (screwed through to the center main bearing cap)

You can use any 1.9 Mi16 engine with any loom/ECU combo though - just make sure that you get a knock sensor if you're planning to use M1.3 as without it, the ECU will retard the ignition timing massively and loose you a big chunk of power.

dee205

If you've got one of thesemisensor.jpg

You'll need a 355 or other knock sensor running ECU

Damien

Along with a 3 row loom if you don't get one with your ECU

Edited by dee205

C_W

Surely you can use whichever loom you choose and just leave the knock sensor disconnected if you run an older loom?

jackherer
Surely you can use whichever loom you choose and just leave the knock sensor disconnected if you run an older loom?

yeah I've done that and it works just fine as you'd expect.

steendp
You can use any 1.9 Mi16 engine with any loom/ECU combo though - just make sure that you get a knock sensor if you're planning to use M1.3 as without it, the ECU will retard the ignition timing massively and loose you a big chunk of power.

So running a 161 ECU from a cat-engine with a d6c (160hp) is okay (without mapping) ?

I think I'll attempt the engine transplant this weekend if that's the case :D .

Anthony
So running a 161 ECU from a cat-engine with a d6c (160hp) is okay (without mapping) ?

Should work fine, although I've not tried it (as CAT engines/management are very rare here in the UK). The CAT and non-CAT engines are slightly different in terms of cam timing and compression, but not enough that it'll cause any real issue in my opinion. Being management from a CAT equiped model it will obviously need the lambda sensor in the exhaust to work properly.

steendp
Should work fine, [..]

Being management from a CAT equiped model it will obviously need the lambda sensor in the exhaust to work properly.

Excellent. The 205 is already a equiped with lambda, so it couldn't have been easier (perhaps I should have saved this comment untill I'm after the conversion..)

petert

I've used that combination several times, in some cases with even more compression. I was so impressed I put one on my Mi16x4.

littlemike
slight hijack but will an ECU code of this 0261 200 354 does this use a knock sensor.....if it doesn't it means i can call off my search for that :D

Guess i can't call of my need for a knock sensor then :D:D

I got a new knock sensor from my local motor factors. As long as you know the number of the sensor you need they get them direct from Bosch and it only cost ~£30 (less than half the price that pug want).

Edited by littlemike

jim205GTI
I got a new knock sensor from my local motor factors. As long as you know the number of the sensor you need they get them direct from Bosch and it only cost ~£30 (less than half the price that pug want).

Cheers.. £30 thats alright just need to find out the number now ;)

littlemike
Cheers.. £30 thats alright just need to find out the number now :P

Bosch part no. 0 261 231 006 is what I've got on my non cat 1.9mi16 :D

Gavin Waddell

ive got a bx with knock sensor and a 354 ecu i am looing for another ecu as mine is dead i think which one can i use?

(ive got acold and my brain is not working and i my eyes wont stop crying and cant make headsor tails of the above posts)

cheers gavin

Anthony
ive got a bx with knock sensor and a 354 ecu i am looing for another ecu as mine is dead i think which one can i use?

0 261 200 161 - 405 Mi16 M1.3 CAT

0 261 200 354 - BX 16v M1.3

0 261 200 355 - 405 Mi16 M1.3

Only the later two are common in the UK.

petert

0 261 200 161 - 405 Mi16 M1.3 CAT and BX16V CAT