• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sherly

Driving Lamp Lenses

sherly

Just bought these on eBay to replace my smashed lenses (in an attempt to avoid paying £45ea from Peugeot)

They're original SIEM lenses - presumably removed from old knackered units.

drivinglamplenses.jpg

Any ideas what I can bond them on with - needs to be strong, waterproof and resistant to a fair amount of heat - these lamps get quite hot don't they?

I've managed to remove the old glass OK (due to it being in several pieces!)

Cheers,

Mart :)

Edited by sherly

mareksio

Don't they just screw in to the plastic backing, with a rubber seal in between? Surely they have to be able to come apart so you can change the bulbs?

Edited by mareksio

batoutofhell

There should be a metal rim that slots over the edges of the glass covers, its got 2 screw holes each side to screw it in to the plastic backing.

Phil H

they have a sillicone-esque sealant around them.

Rob_the_Sparky

I'd try a silicone but leave it out in the open to dry for a few days as it goves off an acid that will make a mess of the backs if you seal them up beofre it has fully dried.

Rob

P.S. mareksio - No and no.

sherly

Rob and Phil have got the idea - it's just the glass part which bonds to the lamp back (the reflective bit), which is then screwed into the plastic housing (with the metal surround) which then bolts to the car.

The stuff I've got is Loctite 595 Clear Adhesive Sealant - looks promising from the description on the packaging and silicone based.

Anyone used it before?

mareksio
P.S. mareksio - No and no.

Yeah sorry, ignore me, lack of sleep - had them off to replace them last week too :)

Sign in to follow this