• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sub205

New Plasma-display Under Work

sub205

Several months ago there was another thread about my first plasma conversion someone else startet... i thought it would be a good idea to post some details about my new project.

Because the first one was really better than i thought, i had to do something even more individually :P

After all i decided to replace the rev-gauge with a digital controlled line of leds and rework the speed gauge to be digital.

new_variant1.sized.jpg

Currently i've finished the electronic and software, i just have to finish the housing and dial, dont had the right ideas yet. B)

tacho_komplett.jpg

i thought about a plexiglas-front, perhaps there is a better way, and i still want to replace the lcd-display with a vfd, not easy to get one at the moment and they are more than twice as expensive than the lcd-types.

time will bring the truth :D

i'll tell you more when there are news!

timmsy19

looking good. are yu going to be doing many of these or is this just a 1 off. it is definatly something special with the digital dash

Jonmurgie

Bugger me that's damn sexy... B)

Gentrix

Hi Sub,

what about a one-way black mirror? So that it is black without ignition and then comes to live like the these here

diamond.gif

cybernck

wow mate, that's simply an amazing effort, thanks for showing it to us!

would you please tell me what sort of sensor are you using for speedometer and tripmeter?

i thought of using a cyclocomputer with a magnet, but that would be too raw :excl:.

another lcd display that would show oil temp, water temp, oil pressure etc, would be good!

keep up the good work and keep us informed.

sub205

its possible to darken elements by the lcd-princip. some car companies do this with rearview mirrors or welder helmets. but where do i get the right size glasses for the gauges? :excl:

currently i'm only building some rare units for friends. its a question of time. as a student i spend much of my time with learning. a unit takes about 2 weeks to finish, because its much work.

wow mate, that's simply an amazing effort, thanks for showing it to us!

would you please tell me what sort of sensor are you using for speedometer and tripmeter?

i thought of using a cyclocomputer with a magnet, but that would be too raw :P.

another lcd display that would show oil temp, water temp, oil pressure etc, would be good!

keep up the good work and keep us informed.

there is a simpler way to get a realiable speedo-signal, but at the cost of a analog gauge...

tacho_geber2.jpg

the hall-sensor-ic is from an old pc fan.

cybernck

not sure i understand what you mean...

are you saying the speedo is still cable-driven, with this sensor at the end?

madspikes

Sweet.... I'd never of though of doing that with speedo head. Simple but effective.

I just love it!

:excl:

GLPoomobile

This is absolutely gorgeous! A bit 80's, a bit 'Kit', but much better than the standard dials and really funky. I love them.

Why is there nobody in the UK doing this? Probably because we are all spending time fitting 309 beams and getting our alloys refurbished Goodwood style, fnar!

Super Josh

That looks fantastic. And i think replacing the LCD with aVFD will be good too. Could you not use an electronic speedo drive from a later Pugeot, the one that fits into the top of the gearbox? Say a 306 or something?

Josh

Edited by Super Josh

sub205
not sure i understand what you mean...

are you saying the speedo is still cable-driven, with this sensor at the end?

yes, the whole unit is designed to be "swap in" for original one.

i simply modded a normal speedo unit to give me electrical signals

This is absolutely gorgeous! A bit 80's, a bit 'Kit', but much better than the standard dials and really funky. I love them.

Why is there nobody in the UK doing this? Probably because we are all spending time fitting 309 beams and getting our alloys refurbished Goodwood style, fnar!

perhaps also because there are unfortunately only some people that can do this staff, and even less of them want to do this or know they can use their knowhow for staff like this. :excl:

That looks fantastic. And i think replacing the LCD with aVFD will be good too. Could you not use an electronic speedo drive from a later Pugeot, the one that fits into the top of the gearbox? Say a 306 or something?

Josh

yes, i thought about this, and i will do that later when i get such a sensor. but i dont want to pay the price that peugeot wants me to pay :P

max0

that is sweet. wounder how hard it would be to project the data on to the front screen fighter jet style!

Edited by max0

kuuner

wow! That is very sweet hail.gif Never seen that before. very original.

Super Josh

Josh

yes, i thought about this, and i will do that later when i get such a sensor. but i dont want to pay the price that peugeot wants me to pay :)

Yes, if you get one from a scrappy it will be cheap, and at least with your idea of using tje speedo cable it is a true plug 'n' play solution. I like the idea of using a tacho fan output, cheap and reliable, good thinking.

What kind of electronic circuit have you used to drive the speedo display, trip counter and battery voltage displays?

Josh

sub205
Yes, if you get one from a scrappy it will be cheap, and at least with your idea of using tje speedo cable it is a true plug 'n' play solution. I like the idea of using a tacho fan output, cheap and reliable, good thinking.

What kind of electronic circuit have you used to drive the speedo display, trip counter and battery voltage displays?

Josh

Yes, how it should be for a hobby electronic artist :)

The controller logic evolved, the first one was built on prototype style pcb:

elektronik.jpg

after that i wanted a printed pcb and designed one, itched, bored and soldered:

b.jpg

boring over 100 holes isnt fun and the layout also had some problems (try to use dual-layer pcbs, they require to use dukas to connect one line on one side to the other pin on the other side sometimes), so i tried to use smd, reduced the size of the pcb to the half and it also looks quite professional:

smd_board.jpg

sorry for the bad pictures, only got a webcam to take them.

the smd-pcb is the one i'm currently using and i think besides some minor modifications it will be the base-plattform for the next time. it is also a great electronic for nearly any light-controlling of leds.

cybernck

this is simply AMAZING! :):(:)

RobMGti

Bowl me over! Missed this - That is awesome mate.

Top Stuff!

Guest andy309goodwood

wow id certanly have one if you are going to be making them to order

if so would you be able to include a boost guage of some discription ?

Edited by andy309goodwood

cybernck

without starting a new topic, would you know what sort of work is involved in changing the colour of the clock?

405MI16-49.jpg

:blink:

les3002

take out the bulb and replace with suitable led and resistor, unless its got that orange film like the dash clocks.

how have you changed the needle colours on the dash?

sub205
take out the bulb and replace with suitable led and resistor, unless its got that orange film like the dash clocks.

how have you changed the needle colours on the dash?

changing the needle colours is quite simple, (thought its not as straight-forward as replacing a bulb).

i've put a small pcb with smd-leds directly behind the area where the needle gets its light. also i removed the orange colour from the needle and painted it white so no colour is absorbed. works well.

Group buy?

wow id certanly have one if you are going to be making them to order

if so would you be able to include a boost guage of some discription ?

because its much work, i can only make limited numbers. the other question is whether its affordable for everybody. i've calculated what price i could sell a unit and got something between 400 and 600 euros.

i'll try to make a rally-style dash the next months... 4x40 lcd with rpm-bar and nothing else. shops like isa-racing sell this stuff for about 1000-2000 euros.

GLPoomobile

Oh Poo!

400-600 Euros is pretty darn expensive. I would love one of these, and would defo be interested if you started making them in small quantities, but with everything else going on I couldn't justify spending that kind of money.

Maybe I should take a crash course in electronics!

Guest andy309goodwood

if you are able to make one in mph i think youv got your your self an order

sub205
if you are able to make one in mph i think youv got your your self an order

this is just a question of the right dial that has to be glued on :lol:

personally i'll prefer if people send me a finished plasma-dial so i dont have the problem with printing one or scratching the yellow colour from the old one.

Sign in to follow this