• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DaveK

Gti-6 On Carbs?

DaveK

been doin searches but cant find anyone who seems ti have a gti-6 engine on carbs.

ive been looking bout on the gti6 forums aswell but cant find anything

anyone done this? much gains to be had?

reason i ask is i want to find what can/cant be done to the 1.9/2.0 mi and gti6 engines before i decide which one im after

cheers

dave

Jonmurgie

Any reason for going carbs over TB's and ECU? You would benefit great on either Mi or GTi6 engine with TB's over carbs B)

DaveK

price is the only reason. works out at like £800 dearer for TB's does it not?

pugrallye

to be really honest without going to mappable ignition, dont think you will see much extra power putting carbs on over the std system, unless your going down the cam route

Edited by pugrallye

jonD6B
Any reason for going carbs over TB's and ECU? You would benefit great on either Mi or GTi6 engine with TB's over carbs B)

What are the benefits of TB's over Carbs. for the extra cost then?

pugrallye

3d mappable ignition for one mild gains in power and driveablilty over std management system

pug_ham

You'd have to do some kind of wiring change to fit a system for getting a spark though wouldnt you? The GTi-6 engine hasn't got a dizzy & I doubt the cams have slots for one to be grafted on.

Graham.

Dom9

You can presumably just leave the ECU in place controlling the sparks and just disconnect the fuelling bits and pieces... Not ideal as you won't have the optimum ignition map, but better than nothing!

I'd stick with the standard setup and save for TB's...

mbayley77

I am wanting to do this also.

Can the original ECU be mapped then if I were to take it to a rolling road tuner?

Garry

Matt Holley used to run his gti6 lump on carbs, not sure if he still has it though. At the Rolling road day early last year at PTS he made 194 at the fly. Mine running standard setup made 187, although he did have a fueling problem at the time. (Take the figures with a pinch of salt, I put them up for a comparison NOT to start a mine is bigger than yours row!!)

The original ECU can be remapped, with quite good results when combined with some cams, it seems to be the method of choice by the GTI6 owners as opposed to headwork or T/Bs.

Edit Sorry, did you mean remapped to run the carbs?

Not sure, but I don't see the point as you will be looking at £500 ish for the mapping at least.

Edited by Garry

pdd144c

A friend of mine used to run his GTi-6 on twin 48's, but ended up going for throttles boddies in the end. Saw good results with both though.

mbayley77

So does anyone know if a distributor system can be set up on the cam of these engines then or if its actually a management issue?

I know management and TB's will be best but i have webers already and cash really isnt available to me at the moment.

GoodwoodNSM

If you go on the Gt-6 forum there was a guy on there who ran a Gti-6 engine on twin 45's. He comes on hear once in a while his forum name is Mangledmetal on both. If anyone wants it I have a Gti-6 loom made for the use with Carbs bought it but now I don't need it PM me if interested.

Neil

P.S bought the loom of Mangeledmetal.

MangledMetal

hello all!!

i had a gti6 running carbs on my goodwood, saw excellent figures, 225 at the fly, and it was an excellent drive, admittedly i had soem home made head work, and a pair of kent cams, etc etc, but it really was excellent drive.

I sold the engien and neil(nsmgoodwood) was thinking of going down the same route, so hes got my loom, it will go straigh t on to the engine, its neatr and simpel too. any more questiosn just ask.

makes life a lot easier than muckign around making one!!

oh! and yes the distributoir way is the easiest, if you remove the vacuum pump fromt eh exhaust cam, you can make a little adapter quite easily to fit the distributor on ther, if reqd i can supply one, adn then run the existing 1.9 gti ignition, this is how i ren mine!

oh! and yes the distributoir way is the easiest, if you remove the vacuum pump fromt eh exhaust cam, you can make a little adapter quite easily to fit the distributor on ther, if reqd i can supply one, adn then run the existing 1.9 gti ignition, this is how i ren mine!

MangledMetal

oh! and yes...... no im kidding, sorry about the accidental reposts!

oh! and yes...... no im kidding, sorry about the accidental reposts!

Matt Holley

As said I had carbs on mine with a dizzy, I thought about mapable ignition and tbs but for the cost of all that whats the point just for a bit more mid range :angry:

mbayley77

So for this it sounds like you can keep the existing 8V ignition and fuel pump etc but just literally change the engine across.

Am i being stupid thinking this cos it could certainly save a lot of money if thats right.

Air and fuel from carb set up (easy as its in place)

Spark from existing set up.

equals big bang :)

pugrallye

would have to find some spark plug leads to suit if going down this route, as you'd need to dump the coil packs, other than the obvious other parts, like fuel pressure regulator inlet manifolds etc, you should be pretty much good to go

Matt Holley

I ran a facet red top fuel pump under the bonnet plus a regulator to get the right fuel pressure just remove the pump from the tank unit and run a pipe down from where that fits on down into the tank.

To see good power you would be best to fit some better cams though, as just carbs and that ignition wont see much more power than a standard gti6 on standard management.

mbayley77

Oh wow, I am going hunting for a 306 gti at the weekend :)

What cams do you suggest matt?

GoodwoodNSM

Get some Cat Cam's everyone on the Gti-6 forum rave about them :).

There was some one on there trying to organise a group buy don't know what's happened about it.

Edited by GoodwoodNSM

Sign in to follow this