• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
driversdomainuk

I Have Got Rid Of My Pas

driversdomainuk

Hi

Probably totally mad, buy hey - I have had problems with my PAS on my 205 - so I have removed it and am getting a new non PAS steering rack fitted....

I have been told getting rid of the PAS on a track car helps improve feed back/feel

Any Views..?

Cheers

Rob_the_Sparky

Why change the rack? PAS rack is quicker...just take the PAS equipment off and leave the rack on (minus PAS ram).

Rob

driversdomainuk
Why change the rack? PAS rack is quicker...just take the PAS equipment off and leave the rack on (minus PAS ram).

Rob

The rack was quite warn and needed sorting too!

jackherer

are you aware that you need a different steering column for a non-pas rack?

jack biscuit

Slightly different lengths?

j_turnell

Its just the UJ from the column to the rack that needs swapping not the column its self, the PAS one is shorter.

jack biscuit

aha that makes more sense

KRISKARRERA

I wonder then if that's why my steering had some much play in it in my old 309, that was converted from PAS to non-PAS.

jackherer
Its just the UJ from the column to the rack that needs swapping not the column its self, the PAS one is shorter.

I've always changed the lower half of the column entirely, I didnt think the u/j came apart from it.

driversdomainuk
I've always changed the lower half of the column entirely, I didnt think the u/j came apart from it.

Dont worry the UJ is being sorted too!

Butler
I have been told getting rid of the PAS on a track car helps improve feed back/feel

Any Views..?

Cheers

Yes it does. Whether its enough to justify the heavier steering is another matter. I prefer the PAS on the 205, but most don't, but then mines a 99% road car. I find the PAS on the 205 nicely weighted.

Edited by Butler

wildejon

Possilbly useless comment as I've never driven a 205 gti with PAS as mine had it removed before I bought it. I do however find that you get excellent feedback and can always feel exactly what is going on, as opposed to any other cars I have driven with PAS.

I love my car :)

cybernck
I do however find that you get excellent feedback and can always feel exactly what is going on, as opposed to any other cars I have driven with PAS.

yeah that's the thing - 205's PAS is not like other cars' PAS :rolleyes:.

C_W

I think he means you just need the lower steering column rather than the steering colum which bolts under the dash and holds the steering wheel?

mak

you can still feel exactly whats going on with PAS, it just takes the fight out of the wheels.

As already said, 205 PAS is perfectly waited, alhtough i dont think that was design intention, more crappy design meaning it doesnt work brilliantly

driversdomainuk

Well may be there will be little difference.

However, I guess it is one thing less to fail (I hope) as the previous rack was 16 yrs old and the PAS was let say "lumpy" in its application.

I have had so many new things on my 205 I think it well deserves an 06 reg :)

Sign in to follow this