• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Dream Weaver

Mapping With And Without Trumpets?

Dream Weaver

Weather permitting, pugtorque and myself are hoping to have my Pug back on its feet and running this Friday with its new rear beam, so once i've sorted the remaining niggles out I need to start getting the mapping and MOT done (not sure in which order yet!! :unsure:)

My GSXR bodies currently have JR cone filters on the end with no trumpets, but I also have some 62mm Weber trumpets which can be made to fit, though I would need to buy a filter and blank base plate to use them.

If I take the car to be mapped with the JR filters (no trumpets), and then later on add the trumpets/PiperX filter will it cause problems?

Or is there little in it?

A few of you may say to add the trumpets/filter now before mapping, but I dont have time to sort them out and would prefer to see the car running on the cones first before shelling out any extra dosh on it.

Sam

I'm sure you can buy small cone filters with "velocity stacks" (US word for air horn/trumpets) built into them.

I lost 10lbft and peak torque was 1000rpm higher when I removed my 90mm trumpets, that was on 40mm DCOE's though.

Jonmurgie

I think general consensus (and advice from Jenvy regarding their bodies) you should definately fit the trumpets... they are there for a reason, tuned length intake and a smooth air tract.

Seems a bit pointless mapping without the trumpets, then adding them later and not having the car mapped for the right setup... unless you enjoy mapping!

Anthony

Given all the time and effort you've put into the car so far, it seems like madness to cut corners at this late stage. Do a job once, and do a job properly.

Dream Weaver

I know, but by the time i've ordered the bits and fitted them all it will be July 2007 at this rate :unsure:

They are also an unknown quantity - dont know if Weber trumpets will work that well with the ITB's.

I suppose the best thing would be to try both whilst mapping, so I go with the JR filters on and try them, but have the trumpet kit to swap over.

DrSeuss

you'll be gutted if your car doesn't make the figures. Lower the rad and get some trumpets. FYI on american ebay you can buy trumpets for bike bodies with a rubber mounting. Which would make fitting easier.

TT205

So who is mapping it in the end?

Dave

Dream Weaver
you'll be gutted if your car doesn't make the figures. Lower the rad and get some trumpets. FYI on american ebay you can buy trumpets for bike bodies with a rubber mounting. Which would make fitting easier.

True, I would be gutted if it was slower than std. I've already got the trumpets (Weber 45) and they fit into the bike bodies almost perfectly, they are a little too big by about .5mm so need sanding slightly to fit in. Just not sure how a Pipercross PX600 type filter will be held in place, there will be a solution though.

So who is mapping it in the end?

Dave

Hopefully going to try Mikeanics, but need to give them a bell to discuss it yet.

I think i'll have to ignore the lack of MOT for now and just get it running and mapped properly.

Sign in to follow this