• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stewgti

Keeps Cutting Out

stewgti

hi my 205 keeps cutting out when its wet.does any one know why.

Jonmurgie

Water in the ignition system somewhere I guess... what condition are the leads/plugs/dizzy cap in?

stewgti
Water in the ignition system somewhere I guess... what condition are the leads/plugs/dizzy cap in?

they are all bran new

Guest smokinslim

Is it the engine and electrics cutting out or just the engine?

stewgti
Is it the engine and electrics cutting out or just the engine?

hi mate its just the engine cutting.the car is fine when its not raining.

maturin23

what state is the plug on the ignition amp?

Mine would cut out periodically due the plug coming loose.

Edited by maturin23

Anthony

To give us a clue as to where the problem is, next time it cuts out, see if the rev counter drops to zero even when the engine is turning, or whether the rev counter is still reading but you've just lost all power.

jonD6B
To give us a clue as to where the problem is, next time it cuts out, see if the rev counter drops to zero even when the engine is turning, or whether the rev counter is still reading but you've just lost all power.

Appologies for butting in but what does that indicate?

Anthony
Appologies for butting in but what does that indicate?

If the rev counter drops out, it suggests that you're losing the output from the ignition amp, which is usually caused by the timing signal from the dizzy not getting through (I've had problems with that giving grief in the wet but fine in the dry before now). If the rev counter keeps reading when you've lost power, then the fault is either in the final stages of ignition or fuelling side.

stewgti

the rev counter drops and now the battery is flat.

stewgti

my 205 keeps dieing on me when its wet

pacey205

Probably need a bit more info fella :D

What do you mean it just stops, starts runs and then stops or refuses to start altogether ?

What have you checked (if anything) so far ?

Its probably safe to say that whatever it is its water getting in somewhere and causing problems so the main areas Id look at first would be.

1. Dizzy cap, is water getting in at all and causing it not to spark properly.

2. Leads/Plugs, same again is water getting in past the lead seals and causing issues.

3. Electrics, have a good poke around and remove all the connectors for stuff like the coil/ignition amp etc and give them a good blast with WD40 or similar to try and rule these out.

Nothing else springs to mind immediately but those are a decent starting point.

Michael

stewgti
Probably need a bit more info fella :D

What do you mean it just stops, starts runs and then stops or refuses to start altogether ?

What have you checked (if anything) so far ?

Its probably safe to say that whatever it is its water getting in somewhere and causing problems so the main areas Id look at first would be.

1. Dizzy cap, is water getting in at all and causing it not to spark properly.

2. Leads/Plugs, same again is water getting in past the lead seals and causing issues.

3. Electrics, have a good poke around and remove all the connectors for stuff like the coil/ignition amp etc and give them a good blast with WD40 or similar to try and rule these out.

Nothing else springs to mind immediately but those are a decent starting point.

Michael

ya it stop starts then it takes 5 mins 2 start again.theres no water in dizzy. all leads r all ok.

maxi
ya it stop starts then it takes 5 mins 2 start again.theres no water in dizzy. all leads r all ok.

Why didnt you say stu, I didnt even know you were having problems! Is it just in the wet or or randomly??

Maxi

stewgti
Why didnt you say stu, I didnt even know you were having problems! Is it just in the wet or or randomly??

Maxi

ya only when its wet.getting pissed off with it.

Anthony

Check the pins on the yellow 3-pin plug that's on the end of the timing lead coming from the dizzy - I bet they'll be corroded. Clean them up and see if you still have the problem.

cybernck

disconnect all electric plugs, spray with WD40, reconnect - it should sort it out :D.

markic

Mine has done this since I removed a plastic bag from around the dizzy, it p****s me off too. So now I just keep a pack of tissuses in the car, and when it does it, I get out, pop the dizzy cap off, and give it wipe. Works for me every time.

The cap never lookslike there's water inside, but it has moisture on the inside surface, and due to the high voltage passing through the distributor system, it doesn't take much to start arcing inside the dizzy.

I just live with it and put down to condensation, as the engine is warming up,it also does it noticably more on cold rainy days, it doesn't put me off one bit, although it can be embarrasing sometimes.

Sign in to follow this