• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jonarob

Blowers

jonarob

OK, there are a few threads on this, but none of them really answer the question for me or go into enough detail.

My blowers/heaters are turning themselves off all of the time. I turn the dial to turn them on, and they might come on, or they might not come on. Sometimes they come on at half power when the dial is full up then they'll randomly switch up to full without me touching a thing. Then they'll just turn off. And back on again.

I was living with this for the past couple of weeks, but this morning my windscreen was pure ice which made things very difficult when the blowers failed to come on when I started the car up. Of course, when I finally got to work after rather stupidly driving with icy windows, they came on full bore, nice and warm... ;)

So the problem is basically the actual blowing and not the heating/cooling.

Anyone got any suggestions? It seems like a loose wire to me, but I wouldn't know where the hell to look. I've heard talk of a Rheostat on here located under the passenger footwell, but if you think that's the case - a photo of it would be ace, because I don't know what you're talking about :D

Thanks a lot.

batoutofhell
OK, there are a few threads on this, but none of them really answer the question for me or go into enough detail.

My blowers/heaters are turning themselves off all of the time. I turn the dial to turn them on, and they might come on, or they might not come on. Sometimes they come on at half power when the dial is full up then they'll randomly switch up to full without me touching a thing. Then they'll just turn off. And back on again.

I was living with this for the past couple of weeks, but this morning my windscreen was pure ice which made things very difficult when the blowers failed to come on when I started the car up. Of course, when I finally got to work after rather stupidly driving with icy windows, they came on full bore, nice and warm... ;)

So the problem is basically the actual blowing and not the heating/cooling.

Anyone got any suggestions? It seems like a loose wire to me, but I wouldn't know where the hell to look. I've heard talk of a Rheostat on here located under the passenger footwell, but if you think that's the case - a photo of it would be ace, because I don't know what you're talking about :D

Thanks a lot.

I got exactly the same problem with mine. Ive been told there 's a metal resistor strip where the dial slides over when you turn it from left to right. Apparently they can move out of position. I havnt looked myself yet. You will have to take some bits of the dash to get to it. I can be wrong, just telling you what ive been told. So if anybody else knows what else it possibly could be ur help is appreciated.

jonarob

Cheers. More suggestions would be nice, but I'll look into that asap :D

pug_ham

The stripe under the dash heater controls doesn't have anything to do with the control of the fan really, its mainly done by the resistor board in the heater motor housing.

When mine did this that was the problem.

Graham.

jonarob

Right, great.

But where the hell is all of that stuff?

That's my problem. There are plenty of answers like this when I search, but no explanation as to where to look etc... :D

pug_ham

I'm sure its been posted before :D but here goes, passenger side footwell at the back (front) of the centre console. Sometimes a black carpeted cover fitted but often junked by now.

Black plastic housing with two plugs, white one has five wires in (this is the resistor, held in by two screws) & brown (iirc) two pin one to motor.

Graham.

jonarob

Right, I know what you mean.

What do I do with them??

pug_ham

Undo the two screws for the resistor, remove & replace it with a new one / good one.

Graham.

jonarob

Thanks.

Do you know what the part is properly called so I can order one? Or is it just a resistor?

pug_ham
Do you know what the part is properly called so I can order one?
According to the parts cd it called a control module, number is dependant on your cars year of manufactur.

Graham.

jonarob

It's a 1990 G reg. If you could tell me exactly what number I'll buy you a pint <_<

pug_ham
It's a 1990 G reg. If you could tell me exactly what number I'll buy you a pint :ph34r:
Cheers.

I think it shoud be 6445 90.

Graham.

mareksio

I had a problem that sounds very similar to this - fans would randomly work/not work on different speed settings. I assumed that it was the rheostat, so I replaced it with a good one, but it made no difference at all.

I ended up buying a whole heater system put of a late 205, and swapping over the orange board behind the heater knobs - the tracks on mine were worn out, resulting in a poor electrical connection and the symptoms I have mentioned. So if you find that wiggling the fan control knob causes the random behaviour, it may well be down to that.

Marek

jonarob

Wiggling the knob actually seems to do nothing when the fans do stop blowing. They just go on and off with absolutely no physical stimulation.

I found a link that could help me:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=1&t=471

Gonna try that first, then probably order the part pugtorque suggested if it doesn't work!

Thanks a lot everyone, I'll hopefully reply soon with good news B)

If anyone has any more suggestions, though, please do keep them coming!

pug_ham
Wiggling the knob actually seems to do nothing when the fans do stop blowing. They just go on and off with absolutely no physical stimulation.
This sounds the same as what mine did originally, sometimes turned on when the dial was set to off.

The bits behind the dials is just a pcb with a couple of tracks for the contact to run on & I'd already stripped that when it first began playing up.

Graham.

Super Josh
The bits behind the dials is just a pcb with a couple of tracks for the contact to run on & I'd already stripped that when it first began playing up.

Is it posible to adjust the wiper, so that it runs on a clean bit of the track, similar to retracking an AFM?

Josh

Dave_McC

How do you remove the PCB from behind the heater control knob? My dial does not seem to be connected to the recirculation flap on the heater box, and the fan blower's not working.

I've fitted a replacement blower motor (from a scrappie) and also tried changing the control module (though unfortunately I've no idea if the replacement one works!). I assume all control units are the same? (the original one seemed to have a large solder blob under the spring metal contact, whereas the replacement has a small black disk between the spring contact and the heatsink board.

Cheers

Dave

Sign in to follow this