• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mark rushton

Gearbox Problem

mark rushton

just bought another 205 gti on a k plate off a 65 year old bloke , its a great car just had a new clutch fitted, drove without fault when i picked it up , but the other day i started having trouble selecting 2nd gear ,needed extra persuasion to go in, but now its got worse when i go to select it now it grinds the teeth before going in, anybody got any ideas, the rest of the gears are ok. :wacko:

Normski

First things to check would be the gear oil level. It should be ok as the clutch has just been changed, but it's best to check. Maybe replace it with some known new oil of the right grade.

Is the clutch adjusted properly? The bite point is not to low? Can you feel any clutch drag as first gear is engaged at stand still? ;)

mark rushton

would not being able to get one gear have anything to do with the clutch, because the rest are fine.

jonD6B

It could be the synchro on it's way out and the old fella changed the clutch assuming it was that.

mark rushton

well its been fine for two weeks , if its the synchro will that mean a new gearbox ,if so how much for a reconditioned one. ;)

jonD6B

They're always popping up for sale on here. It might not be the synchro yet. If you do need a new box there are plenty of options to consider.

Miles

I doubt it's the Syncho at all, Very rarely is.

There's a little clip that breaks casuing this and it can be fixed with the box on the car, But not many people know how to do this

pug_ham

What does your gear change feel like?

Check the pivot on the subframe that the sideways movement rod from the gear lever, this can come loose & create the stick in a bucket feeling.

Its bolted through the subframe, 14mm open ended spanner on top & a 13mm nut underneath.

Found this loose on a car yesterday when changing the exhaust & manifold, makes a world of difference to the gear change. Any grinding has gone completely.

Graham.

Paintguy

Ooh, that's interesting Miles.

Mine's always been a bit hard to get in to 2nd (changing up or down), either hot or cold. You seem to have to guide it into gear rather than just selecting it. Having renewed every bush and linkage I just put it down to a slightly bent or worn selector, after 15 years running the traffic light Grand Prix. If there's a possible fix though, it'd be great to try it.

Care to spill the beans, or is it a trade secret? ;)

Edited by Paintguy

jonD6B

Is there anything that can be done about the sloppyness in the 'H'? (Side to side lever wobble).

pug_ham
Is there anything that can be done about the sloppyness in the 'H'? (Side to side lever wobble).
See my previous reply.

That took a lot of movement out of the gearchange once tightened up.

Also check the condition of the gear rods & the subframe quadrant has a plastic bush in the middle that wears & adds play.

Graham.

mark rushton

been trying to fix it today, clutch is ok, filled it up with new gear oil today, and theres no sloppyness with the gear change goes in all the other gears really well, goes in 2nd ok when standing still with the engine running, will go in ok at really low revs when moving, but at high speeds or high revs grinds its head off. really am lost with this one. :D

allanallen

just a thought but how good are all the engine mountings?

mark rushton

just replaced the gearbox mount , and the upper mount today.

Simes

I've had this before and found by adjusting the clutch cable the problem went away. I too had no difficulty engaging other gears.

Reverse will start being difficult to engage soon. :D

EnglishRob
I've had this before and found by adjusting the clutch cable the problem went away. I too had no difficulty engaging other gears.

Reverse will start being difficult to engage soon. :)

I've got a similar problem but on a much worse scale. My car is so bad, it won't go into the lower gears at all when the engine is running (even though the clutch is fully pressed down) and it grinds lots when going into 3rd and 4th. Going into 5th is fine though!

I've got a new clutch, clutch cable and gearbox (well, second hand gear box) which I'm having fitted tomorrow.

Rob

Pug_sport

What englishrob means is that there is no gearbox oil as it all falls out as soon as you put it in so the box self destructed. lol

:unsure:

EnglishRob
What englishrob means is that there is no gearbox oil as it all falls out as soon as you put it in so the box self destructed. lol

:unsure:

Yep, it's a pain in the backside. Still, it runs fine when it's in 5th gear :o

Rob

Sign in to follow this