• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mace1981

Yoko A520....what Are They Like?

Mace1981

Hi guys, ive brought a set of rims with these tyres on theve got decent tread left on them 4mm+ and i was wondering what peeps thoughts were on them, i know there s*ite in the wet but how bad is what im asking. should i just kill em and get a set of F1's. :)

paul wicks

Yoko A539's have replaced them, and they are pretty good IMO.

jonD6B

I always quite liked the A520's. I'd probably run them down before changing to something else.

hengti

Used to run 520s before I switched to 539s when they came out

520s are supposed to be better than 539s in the dry (didn't notice much difference myself tho tbh) - but they're definately worse than 539s in the wet - not by a massive margin or anything, but did I noticed the difference

Mace1981

Looking likley that i'll give em some stick once we get some dryer weather and plump for a set of F1's or Toyos, but thats another topic! :wacko:

Normski

A520's are amazingly good in the dry. But in the wet.......... ;)

mi16nut

It's predecessor, the A510 was good, but I was very disappointed with the A520 when I had a 405 12 years ago. If you want good all round & excellent wet weather performance, you'll have to get F1's.

jonD6B

What about Uniroyal RS1's?

RichF

When I bought the 1.9 it had A539s fitted, they were great in the dry but I found them worryingly crap in the wet.

Replaced with Toyo Proxes T1-Rs - much, much better ;)

Edited by RichF

mrblonde

i think yokos are a good tyre in the dry because of the soft compound.downside is they dont last as long.i would def go with the f1's.i would say that as i have just bought 4.

Ahl
When I bought the 1.9 it had A539s fitted, they were great in the dry but I found them worryingly crap in the wet.

Replaced with Toyo Proxes T1-Rs - much, much better :unsure:

You won't believe that F1's are comfortably even better then. :o;)

mbayley77

F1's in my oppinion better than the toyo but the cost of the toyo takes me to T1-R's every time.

I do like the toyo though think its a good tyre.

pugrallye

i religiously run yokos, nowt better in dry, but worse than bald budget tyres in wet! oh plus they are super soft, so if your car has any power to speak of, dont expect much life out of them

Mace1981

When people say they are bad in the wet, how bad are we talking? this is my everyday car, is going to be understeering on everyturn and loosing the back end? is it drivable within reason? Summer use only then?

hengti

never understood why people have a thing against Yokos in the wet ... when it starts raining at the sprints I've been to, the big boys take of their semi slicks and get the A539s on. I took 8 seconds out of the only other guy in my class once - as soon as it started raining, I still had the confidence in the 539s (to be fair tho, he did bottle it ... :D )

they're bloody good tyres - cheap, grippy, wear well

they *might* not be as good as certain others in certain circumstances - but, tbh, I think you'd be hard pressed to be able to stand up and say there's a *massive* difference between tyres of the same size

they last well as well - over 20k out of my hard worked A539s - £90 a pair fitted

they're fine - get some on!

(see earlier post for opinion of 520 - supposedly better in dry, *marginally* worse in wet)

Edited by hengti

casnell
When people say they are bad in the wet, how bad are we talking? this is my everyday car, is going to be understeering on everyturn and loosing the back end? is it drivable within reason? Summer use only then?

I've got them and they don't have lots of grip in the wet, but they are very predictable and progressive, so if you don't mind a bit of wheelspin/sliding, they're actually quite fast.

Paintguy

I also run the A539s as I got them cheap.

I'm not impreesed by the actual amount of grip in the wet, but as above, I find them very predictable, with a nice gentle breakaway. My car naturally understeers under power, but with these tyres on, it's very easy to 'steer' it with the throttle. A bit more power and it'll run a little wider, a bit less, and it'll tighten in to the bend.

Lots of fun! :D

huckleberry
What about Uniroyal RS1's?

I Run the Uniroyal Rainsport tyres on 194/45/16. I like them because they are good for everyday driving. They were much better than any tyre I've had in the rain incl. Goodyear Eagle F1's. They last about 25.000-30.000 KM though. I can't comment on dry performance as I never did a lap on a circuit on my F1's.

Rippthrough
I also run the A539s as I got them cheap.

I'm not impreesed by the actual amount of grip in the wet, but as above, I find them very predictable, with a nice gentle breakaway. My car naturally understeers under power, but with these tyres on, it's very easy to 'steer' it with the throttle. A bit more power and it'll run a little wider, a bit less, and it'll tighten in to the bend.

Lots of fun! :D

Same here - I've got 539's on the mx-5 + 405, probably be the next set on the 306 too. Just love the amount of feedback they give.

Mace1981

Guys, thanks very much for your feedback! Im gonna run these 520's and see how it goes. I would assume that, as long i bear in mind when driving that there not that *great* in the wet then i'll be fine. Just a case of finding the limits :):ph34r:

Sign in to follow this