• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Martin@PRD

Radaitor Sizes

Martin@PRD

Well as most of you know by now, Im planning to fit a radiator in each of the rear arches to cool the v6 sat in the back of my 205.

I have been looking for dimensions of various radiators up for the job, which may turn out to be a bike type one, but struggling to find dimensions and unfortunately I dont have time out of the workshop to go down the scrappy at the moment, can anyone help?

The maximum size I can fit is,

Height. 22 inches/560 mm

Width. 15 inches/380 mm

Depth. Approx. 4 inches/108mm (Though please bear in mind I do have to fit a fan)

Does any one have a radiator kicking about a round this size they could measure for me?

Im sure a mini radiator might fit

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/tomoprd/100_6943.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/tomoprd/100_6887.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/tomoprd/100_6952.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v728/tomoprd/100_6951.jpg

Thanks

Ryan

Honda Civics have quite small rads. I've not measured one, but they only take up about half the width af the front of the engine bay.

Redtop

ADR alan docking racing. An f3 team. they fabricate radiators for most race cars etc. Think mine came from there for the formula ford. They make you anything you want, and i think they supply the f1 teams as well. Depends on your budget.

Martin@PRD
Honda Civics have quite small rads. I've not measured one, but they only take up about half the width af the front of the engine bay.

Ryan,

Found a few examples on e-bay and they are 15'' wide and 18'' high, so I will have a word with my suppliers tomorrow for prices etc.

Let me know if you require anything, Ill give you 25% discount

Thanks

ADR alan docking racing. An f3 team. they fabricate radiators for most race cars etc. Think mine came from there for the formula ford. They make you anything you want, and i think they supply the f1 teams as well. Depends on your budget.

Unfortunately my budget wont stretch that far, I need to get the car up and running on the lowest budget possible, though if it has to be custom ill give them a ring

Thanks

Thanks

Miles

All I will say is the std Rad isn't good enough so get your calc out for the cooling efficenty of the engines,

Batfink

what about stones?

alex205mi16

I agree with the honda civic /crx radiators.. very slim and remarkably small and seem to very efficent in keep the high revving buggers in check. I dont think a mini radiator would be up to it... they struggle to keep most A series engines cool.

how did the guy with the rear engined mi16 turbo get on with his radiator set in a hole in the roof? possibly not ideal but maybe he could have some input to this?

How does the clio v6 cool its engine? rad up front and pipes through the car? i guess you cant do that as you need a front rad for the 'other v6' (NUTTER).

i wonder how that twin engined mk1 golf managed to keep the 2nd engine cool?

how about a big slim flat rad mounted under the car with like a sump guard to protect it?

V8 engined mini had a bloody big radiator mounted in the boot, although with minimal airflow i guess it could not be too effiecent..

(sorry just banding ideas about, please feel free to ignore/ abuse my comments)

Ryan

AFAIK the twin-engined golf had the cooling system connected together and just a single rad.

Martin@PRD

There are a few options

1. Rad for each wing

2. Rad part of the boot lid (vacuum effect)

3. Rad in roof

4. Double rad in the front

The reason Im wanting them in the arches is simple direct the flow though the engine compartment extracting the heat given out by the exhaust out the back. Placement of rad in the roof, I would of thought to be to high for the flow of coolant unless a secondary electric pump was installed, fitting rad in boot would mean cutting a great big hole and blocking driver view as well being as it being to close to the exhaust which has limited space already. There is certainly not enough space for a second rad in the front so thats out of the question.

As for cooling efficacy for engine this not going to be any use as the rad isnt facing on coming air, fans and a special coolant will hopefully help level temps, if not I will have to use co or Nos like they do on intercoolers but as for sprints I wont have a problem

Ryan
Placement of rad in the roof, I would of thought to be to high for the flow of coolant unless a secondary electric pump was installed

Height won't be a problem as the weight of water comming back out of the rad down to the block will have a siphon effect which will perfectly balance out the effort required to pump the water up there in the first place.

Rippthrough
As for cooling efficacy for engine this not going to be any use as the rad isnt facing on coming air, fans and a special coolant will hopefully help level temps, if not I will have to use co or Nos like they do on intercoolers but as for sprints I wont have a problem

Should be fine as long as you pull enough air over it with fans, that's all a bigger rad does after all.

kuuner

i had mine built for 200,- (incl. fault of mine). the second was cheaper, hahahaha. This one was for a friend of mine. the man built it just for 160,-. The core was of a Renault. i needed it for my 2.0t transplant in my dimma (with airco) hadn't enough room for a standard radiator... ;)

oooowwww. 200,- is the same as +/- £ 150,-...

Edited by kuuner

allanallen

if you had a single rad at the front it may keep the engines at a similar running temp which is an aspect you need to look into to keep the engines running equal. i think

stevec205gti

A guy I work with races a late 70's Reynard - this runs two MG Midget radiators at roughly a 30 degree angle, with both 1/3 covered for a 2 litre Pinto. He can't remember the exact size, but reckons they're smaller than your maximum allowance.

Martin@PRD
Height won't be a problem as the weight of water comming back out of the rad down to the block will have a siphon effect which will perfectly balance out the effort required to pump the water up there in the first place.

Hmmmmm.... ok, though I was worried about the pressure needed to push/pull coolant through matrix. This would require a large section of the roof removing which Im not to happy with to be honest as this will create more unwanted flexing in the cabin

But...as youve really had me thinking about this today, I will keep this option open if Im struggling with original idea.

Thanks everyone for your input

JERAM

if it was me, i would cool the front engine with a front mount rad, you will get one in :blush:

and the rear one in the rear window area with two big fans cooling it :D

just my thoughts!! :(

Adam B

Have a chat to Forge in Gloucester - they might have something for you...

www.forgemotorsport.co.uk

felix2566

i was thinking that maybe you could have the back windows opening the wrong way, ie with the leading edge open and have ducting from there to your rads, you might be able to conect this with the rads infront of the back wheels.

TEKNOPUG

You need to mount a pair in the wings, in front of the wheels. Angle them and then when you cut the openings in the wings, you should be able to fashion the steel with a little patience so that it will direct the airflow onto the rads, like many other mid engined cars. You'll need to drill some holes in the boot no doubt, so the air will be able to escape and to increase flow. I'll see if I can dig out some pics of a Mk1 Golf with a Porker Turbo lump in the back as an example. Obviously it will be easier, more efficient if you use wider rear panels, such as Dimma or similar.

Another option, depending upon room, is to mount the rad in the floor, behind/beneath the engine and then angle the flow of the passing air up. Seen it done with intercoolers a few times.

Martin@PRD

further to that fella

I have found the rads needed now, these are the perfect size required thanks Ryan

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ALUMINUM-RACE-RADIAT...1QQcmdZViewItem

Please read the couple of pages of the thread below, as this is what i was describing a couple of months ago

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...pic=50386&st=70

TEKNOPUG

They should be perfect.

What sort of spec/power are you aiming with the engines?

Martin@PRD

250 bhp, 220 lb/ft each, Though will depend how far the overlap can be increased on the day of the RR

Sign in to follow this