• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mi16nut

307 Pads & Mc

mi16nut

I've finally succumbed to a set of 307 HDi discs & calipers and need advice on pads & master cylinder. A search produced loads of threads, but seemingly no definitive answers although I do understand that it may be down to personal preference.

What are peoples views on whether the mc needs changing & if so, to what? 306 XSi or 405 Mi16 4x4 at 22.2mm seem to be suggested, whereas the 406 at 23.8mm is generally for GTi6 calipers. Can anyone confirm the caliper piston sizes on standard 1.9 girlings & the 307's?

Secondly, I currently have Mintex 1144's on ATE powerdiscs. They work well, but list price for the 307 calipers is £100! Will standard pads be up to fast road & 5/6 trackdays per year, or should I stump a ton for the 1144's?

Cheers, Mark.

chownr

When I first changed over to 307 brakes from standard 1.6 calipers and discs with Mintex 1144s I used the standard 1.9 m/c with no real problems but the travel on the pedal was slightly more than I wanted - nothing excessive but I like a brake pedal with almost no travel at all. Ive ended up using the 406 cyclinder which is fine. As for pads I used standard at first with no real problems but after several road rallies they did go off a little and didnt seem to stop at all. I didnt see the point in spending £100 on 1144s so Ive had greenstuff on for about half a season now without any problems at all and only occasional squeel.

Just my opinion Im sure others will have some too.

Rich

Bonzai

im using standard rated discs and pads, and the original 1.9 mc

its fine for me on road use, next week will be the testing point when i do a full day at llandow.

tom_m

gti180brakes.jpg

i'm using standard 307 discs with custom grooves machined into them and standard pads with the standard 1.9 mc and braided hoses, as Bonsai its fine for me on fast road use.

there is a slighty longer pedal than on stock set-up, but after using the 23mm mc i'm happy, because there was 0 modulation with it and personally i hated it.

i am tempted to try the 22mm mc just to see what its like, but its not high on my list of prioites

jim205GTI

i've never found a problem with using the standard m/c but mine has only been used on the road ;)

they do look good under the speedlines though :D minimal clearance but ......... :)

mi16nut

Cheers for the replies.

Pagid & Ferodo don't appear to do 307/ 206GTi 180 fitments yet.

EBC Greenstuff can be got for @ £50 & Chownr reports no problems, so I may try those.

Anyone using a 22mm mastercylinder? If so, from what; 306 or 405?

Edited by mi16nut

tom_m

personally mate i don't rate green stuff over standard, tho they do produce WAY less dust than stock compunds so i might give them a go next time i need pads, but only to stop cleaning the wheels every two days! ;)

Bonzai

just have to say the brakes were amazing on the trackday i did today, although i only managed 7 or 8 laps before quiting :D

Simes

Just thought I'd bring this up again,

With 307HDI calipers what M/C's are you using.

I'm going to replace my M/C regardless but I quite fancy a firmer pedal feel.

answers please!

rescue dude

I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread cos i'm currently sourcing some 307 calipers for my 1.9.

I like a firm brake pedal so not sure if i'll like the feel with the standard 1.9 master cylinder but i'll give it a go for a bit.

Don't let me interrupt you carry on.

rescue dude

Just a thought. I've fitted 309 shaft's and wishbones.

Will the 307 calipers and discs fit or are the hubs different sizes?

TEKNOPUG

I need to get a new MC so I might try and source the 22mm from a 405. Also, the resevoir from the 405/406/306 (can't remember which) is a much better design and will allow the use of an eezi-bleed (1.9 resevoirs never seal properly from my experience).

Craigb
Just a thought. I've fitted 309 shaft's and wishbones.

Will the 307 calipers and discs fit or are the hubs different sizes?

Yes they will fit , that what i had on mine before i took the 309 stuff off and put the 205 shafts back in ..

p.s.

Long OS 309 shaft for sale or swap for good 205 shaft

TEKNOPUG

The only 22.2mm 405 MC I can find is for an ABS model, which isn't really what I'm after unfortunately

rescue dude

Thanks Craig, Was sure they would but wanted to check before parting with the wonga.

Simes

Any more hints on a m/c?

I'm going to leave my current one in place over the brake swap and see how that goes....it will need replacing though.

Miles did mention to me about 306 M/c and resevoir - but I've forgotten that conversation.

Guest rick03054

I got a 22.2mm one for a pre '97 306 2.0l convertible, (part number 4601.CO) and I just used the 205 reservoir.

I think it's listed as an ABS model but has 4 ports and works fine.

Edited by rick03054

dead205

I fitted the 307 set last week with standard discs and pads. So far i've been very impressed, but I plan to fit the 4 port 23mm master cylinder from the 406 (cheers Danpug). I think master cylinder choice with this setup is just a matter of what your used to, there isn't too much travel by any means and it certainly isn't dangerous in any way but i'm used to there being very little movement before braking kicks in.

If you fit this set up and take time to get used to it there could be an upside to the longer pedel travel in that if it's an everyday car it is easier to judge when only light braking is needed - less brakes on or off syndrome.

mark

Sign in to follow this