• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DaveW

Gear Linkages Hiting Exhaust Pipe

DaveW

on my xs the linkage touches the exhaust in 1st and 2nd, maybe the others too but you can deffo feel it more in those gears, any ideas why? engine mounts had it?

easypug

Yep would say bottom engine mount mate, get underneath and have a look. Give it a good shake and see how much movement you get...

DaveW

ah i see, il give that go then easy job to fix?

Guest smokinslim

I had this on mine, it was the bottom mount. As it got worse i found i couldn't change out of gear or into others when going round lefthand bends. Straight or right not a problem, but left the lever wouldn't shift.

Fitting a new mount sorted it all out.

If you interested i know somewhere that makes poly mounts for TU engined cars.

stu_woac

yes that will be the bottom mount it got so bad on mine it would knock it out of gear LOL this is a fairly easy job does take awhile if its your first time at doing it

DaveW

cheers guys, i thought it was the mount but its good to dubble check.

macaroni

You can get uprated bottom mounts from timotorsport.co.uk, but I got one from a guy who fitted a v6 607 rubber bush into the xs alloy casting, it is as hard as nails now.

DaveW

but dont these uprated mounts make the inside vibrate?

Guest smokinslim

Dont know about the 607 ones, mine came from timotorsport.co.uk , didn't notice anymore vibration in the car. If anything the ride was better due to the gear linkage not knocking or sticking anymore. Plus less engine movement = more power trasmitted to the wheels. You really notice this when you've jus replaced a knackered mounting.

DaveW

how much was the mount mate?

Guest smokinslim

Couldn't find the reciept for mine, i'm ordering some track arm bushes from them later in the week tho so i gave them a call. About £26 inc VAT (£21.** + vat, didn't hear the pence) for the lower engine mount.

They also do an adjustable stabilizer bar, bolts to the engine mount bracket and subframe, stopping sideways movement of the engine. I asked about this as i've seen it on the website but there isn't much info on there, u gotta speak to the guy really. He told me that they've had problems with cars falling out of gear on very rough ground, second gear in particular. The stabilizer bar stopped it happening. Doesn't think it would be of any benefit to a road car tho.

Had to plug the site to him of course. Perhaps if any moderators have read this the idea might just have crossed their mind that we could think about organising a forum discount with them for bushes, mounts, etc, for all the TU owners on here??? Too many companys forget about us, only producing uprated stuff for GTIs.

Just an idea anyway....

macaroni

The guy who runs timotorsport is a very helpful guy.

Mine does make it vibrate inside the car, but it all adds to the "motorsport" feel...

Guest smokinslim

Tell me about it, was on the phone to him for at least 45mins.

Alastairh

Sounds like the engine mounts to me Dave.

Didn't you say when you picked the car up the engine felt as if it rocked alot.

Just put in a decent Pug one, unless you plan 16vs or something special in the future.

Alastair

mbayley77

I am going solid aluminium mount on mine :) be like driving in a rampant rabbit i expect!

macaroni

Well I, for one, can't vouch for driving in a rabbit, but it will certainly be very vibratory.

Sign in to follow this